Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow shutting down and slow booting

Slow shutting down and slow booting

Hi,

I've just formatted and reinstalled Vista Business, that I noticed a abnormal slow at starting up my laptop, but when shutting down the laptop is even more slow, for ie, when I shut down my account or when I move from my user account to my admin account ( I have a black screen during 4 sec). On the opposite, from my Admin to my User account, it can take up to 10 sec.

If I'm under my User Account and I shut down my laptop, it will take 2min 30sec more or less, and if I shut down from the welcome Accounts (not user account opens) it will take 2min. The time to close an account seems to be normal but on the contrary, the time to shut down the laptop is too long.

Programs at startup: No Autoruns, Rollback Rx, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (my graphic driver), Hitman Pro

Thanks for your help !

Re: Slow shutting down and slow booting

This happens when there is less space in the drive where windows is installed or even if there are less spaces in all drives as well. What all applications have you installed in your pc? Go to msconfig and check for starup items and remove all unwanted sevices or programs that are listed and not in use. Which antivirus system or firewall software have you installed? Run a virus scan and see if it finds anything.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    This happens when there is less space in the drive where windows is installed or even if there are less spaces in all drives as well. What all applications have you installed in your pc? Go to msconfig and check for starup items and remove all unwanted sevices or programs that are listed and not in use. Which antivirus system or firewall software have you installed? Run a virus scan and see if it finds anything.
    This is not my case, I have on C: 41 Gb free and on D: 41 Gb free. I only have Roolback, Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Revo Uninstaller, no others programs. I comes back from formatting and reinstalling Vista. That's was the reason was I'm astonished about the non-speed shut down of the computer.

Can you try to perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program. Try to enable half of the Services items
    1.Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
    2.Click to select half of the check boxes in the Services list.
    3.Click OK.
    4.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Here you are what I have with all Microsoft disabled :

PS: Hitman Pro and Emsisoft Anti-malware are programs that I installed after I created this post, so that it can't be the culprit as I already noticed this slowness in my laptop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

alexpjhone Guest

hi, first you should check the windows task manager which program is taking much more time. there may be some hard drive problem, can you hear voices from hard drive while shut down ?
    or there may be some some viruses not allowing to shut down.

Hi,

Look at this screenshots about TM. Before shutting down, I used to close Firefox.

I'm hearing a lot the fan laptop. I don't know about my HDD, which sort of voices ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

With the screenshot images it appears to me that its the firefox that occupies a lot of memory when you are running the system accounting upto 2,57,000 kbs thats quite a large figure.

The sound that you are getting to hear might be of the hard disk and hence i would say you either try with the different browser or look for some other options in terms of memory.

As I told on my previous post,

Before shutting down my laptop, I used to close all windows, then, I manually shut down (Start, shut down).

Hi again,

I found a solution for shutting down.

I need your help for the following :

1. I have also a long time boot that I need to fix.

2. When entering into my User account, the message 'Welcome' last too long time, 33sec and even longer. From time to time, the screen appearing black for 1 or 2sec before the dekstop will appear.As you know I've only 2 programs starting, Rollback and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Thanks in advance !

Many have reported that this problem of slow boot occurs because of desktop background. If you set it to a solid color, it takes about 30 seconds to login but if you set it to a picture, the login takes about 3 seconds. If you put it back to a solid color, it goes back to 30 seconds to login. So try this fix and see if it works.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

My dekstop background is the one by default, once you installed Vista, I didn't change anything.

Any news ?

What is the make or model of the laptop? Have you tried to reinstall the graphics driver for your laptop and checked if the black screen issue gets solved? Normally, many startup processes are delay load. This is so you can start work without waiting for everything to load. You can change Automatic (Delay Load) to Automatic in the services application. Automatic means at startup, manual means on demand (except for stupid programs like defender).

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    What is the make or model of the laptop? Have you tried to reinstall the graphics driver for your laptop and checked if the black screen issue gets solved? Normally, many startup processes are delay load. This is so you can start work without waiting for everything to load. You can change Automatic (Delay Load) to Automatic in the services application. Automatic means at startup, manual means on demand (except for stupid programs like defender).
    Hi super cop,

I've an Amilo Pro v3505.

I didn't reinstall my graphics driver, do I need to unistall firstly or it will overwrite the files ?

Do I change all the services from Auto (delay Load) into Auto ? Wich ones ?

Defender , I changed into manuel instead of Auto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast