Thread: os x lion Sys Prefs shows incorrect printer supply level information

os x lion Sys Prefs shows incorrect printer supply level information

The toner and fuser levels in the system preferences for the printer seem to always be precise. The toner cartridge was running out and it has been distorted. I thought the concern was for the toner cartridge, nevertheless the triangle symbol was still there after replacement so I examine further.

Is there something that can reset or correct the information the system printer prefs pane that is completely imprecise?

Re: os x lion Sys Prefs shows incorrect printer supply level information

I am also having this matter with 10.6.8 and an e120n printer. I want to get rid of the Low provisions concern. I've reset the printer system and reloaded the driver etc with no luck.

I run Snow Leopard on another drive in this PC and the identical incorrect information appears in Supply Levels in prefs as well, so it is not a specific trouble to Lion. The caution just appeared in the last 30 days.

All I want is the information to be right on the Mac and acquire rid of that yellow warning triangle (which is false information) that I observe every time something is printed. The other two items monitored in that screen are acceptable.

Many printers have the similar trouble, particularly (in my experience) when connected to a wl router.I have no answer than to accustom to these fake messages, you can live with them just as I have been living with them (HP printers)

This is not a wireless router matter as the network is a hardwired router to the computers and printers.WiFi connections would be 40% slower than a direct cable connection.

The information remains, this just occurred in the last 20 days. It has not occurred in the past two years I have had this printer.

As you mention, this matter first appeared with 10.6.8 due to alter made to CUPS where a function "backend SNMPsupplies" reported warnings rather than mistake. For assured brands of printers this call resulted in the incorrect information being reported back to the Mac. While the CUPS organization released a patch to resolve this it seemed that Apple did not do the same and relied on the vendors to alter their drivers.

One ordinary workaround at the time was to alter the PPD for the printer so that the SNMP calls were not made. This is done by adding the line "cupsSNMPSupplies: fake" to the printers ppd file located in the /etc/cups/ppd. make a note of that you will require administrative privileges to perform this workaround.

Before showing the workaround I have to say that I have not heard this matter happening with Lion, however then the printers I support that had this issue on 10.6.8 have no official Lion drivers yet. Given only just started recently you would have to query what has changed for this to appear. Does System Preferences > Software Update > Installed Updates show any update around this time?

Try this
    Code:
    # Enter /etc/cups/ppd in the Go to Folder dialog box and choose Go.
    # Find the ppd named ColorPrinter.ppd. 
    # Drag the ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    # Open the ColorPrinter.ppd with TextEdit.
    # At the end of the PPD add the following line exactly as written: *cupsSNMPSupplies: False
    # Save the modified ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    # From the /etc/cups/ppd folder, move the original ColorPrinter.ppd to the trash. Authenticate when prompted.
    # Drag the modified ColorPrinter.ppd from the Desktop to the /etc/cups/ppd folder. Authenticate when prompted.

I demonstrate a Lexmark Printer Software update version 2.6 that was installed on December 8, which is soon after I acquire the new machine with the installed Lion. I had printer matter at that time, although the Apple update resolved them