Thread: How to do fax with OS X Lion

How to do fax with OS X Lion

I recently brought Brother MFC 790CW. I attached it to my network. I want to know if there is any application which can permit AIO machine to send faxes out without having to make use of a landline.

On the whole, I am asking if I can send faxes when the machine is connected to my network, and if so what application do actually need

Re: How to do fax with OS X Lion

Have a look on users manual. This should first thing you should do. I have an Epson AIO and I am able to send faxes - Although: I do require the landline and can only fax while using the control panel/screen on the printer for the reason that faxing is no longer supported by Lion.

Do i require a phone line to fax. althought there are web based fax sites like eFax and GotFreeFax that will fax pdf's.anyone here who can answer my question

Quote Originally Posted by Chivukula View Post
    Do i require a phone line to fax. althought there are web based fax sites like eFax and GotFreeFax that will fax pdf's.anyone here who can answer my question

Faxing is still supported by Lion. Apple's external USB Fax modem is no longer supported by Lion. Full controller modems like the US Robotics Zoom modem works with Lion. Phone lines still wanted.

I am correct: since they changed the name from Print & Fax to Print & Scan in System Preferences, I figured that Lion no longer supports it. I presume there is a method to control it then? I didn't know Apple still makes laptops with built in modems?

Yea, I imagine you're right and removed the last part of the sentence. I was thinking that my MacBook Pro had a modem port, although I was wrong. It still had the carry over Fax Modem setup from using an USB apple modem with Snow Leopard.

From what I've heard, the US Robotics external is still controlled via the print display.

Yes you can still fax through the print menu. I have an all in one printer with fax function. Phone line connected to the printer and connected to my local network via Ethernet. You have to adjoin the fax to the printer selection. In the print menu, you can then choose the fax printer which brings up the fax menu.

I assume it's the similar for a Lion compatible USB modem if it can be added to the printer list for selection.