Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to dual boot on two different hard drives in Ubuntu?

Operating Systems

Old 01-12-2011

How to dual boot on two different hard drives in Ubuntu?

Freshly i've been inquisitive about utilizing Ubuntu but I did not would like to wipe out my present working framework. I was doubting that its plausible to join an additional hard head with Ubuntu and unequivocally connect that to the nearby SATA port on my MOBO? Would I be able to then go into the BIOS and select which drive to boot from via boot menu? A debt of gratitude is in order regarding every last trace of the assistance in development.

Old 01-12-2011

Re: How to dual boot on two different hard drives in Ubuntu?

You might install Virtualbox and introduce Ubuntu as a visitor OS or utilize Wubi. Both will spared you the time to go for Linux without altering anything on your OS boot parameters.
Old 01-12-2011

The advantages are:
  1. -you don't need to unite an additional hard drive actually for Linux.
  2. -you don't need to stress over parceling and setting up double-boot or agonizing that you may overwrite something on your existing OS.
  3. -you don't need to buy any newfangled fittings.
  4. -Virtualbox or VMWare is unlimited.
  5. -Might as well you choose that Linux is not for you, it could be an effortless matter of uninstalling Wubi or erasing the visitor OS from Virtualbox.
Old 01-12-2011

Some motherboard bios moreover underpin realtime boot menus implication you don't need to wade through the bios menu screens to manually switch and recovery settings for which drive it boots, alternately you unequivocally hit a keyboard key the same time as the bios post/enumeration grouping and up pops a menu posting all bootable mechanisms that were recognized.
Old 01-12-2011

The console or in other words I mean to saa the keyboard key required could shift, it could be recorded at the bottom of the BIOS screen or you could attempt F2, F8, F10, F11, or ESC. Since you don't hit the crux or don't hit it in time, it unequivocally boots to the default boot device as it does now.
Old 01-12-2011

I have 2 special hard drives in my laptop, a 500gb and a 320gb. I possess my 500gb hard drive holding ubuntu 10.10. My objective is to instate a rendition of windows onto the 320gb hard drive. This is basic, its when utilizing "gparted" on linux, my 320gb hard drive indicates 3 parcels at present holding 2 linux document frameworks. There is the unallocated space where i move toward commissioning windows and dev/sdb5 Linux-Swap at 10.94gb and /dev/sdb2 broadened at 10.94gb. My first contemplations were it likely is the grub boot loader, but prefer I expressed, I make a point not to know much about it. Since any individual would be able to help could be fabulous. I need to actually reformat the 320gb drive but I dont would like to evacuate any required startup documents for ubuntu.
Old 01-12-2011

The MBR of your boot drive (320GB) no doubt indicates your Linux indexes on the 500GB drive. To settle this, boot to the Ubuntu Desktop with both drives appended. Open a terminal and run the accompanying charges. Initially, certify the designation of the Ubuntu drive. I'm collecting its determined to be sdb1:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
Old 01-12-2011

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
That might as well indicate the Ubuntu drive's MBR to the Ubuntu boot records on the same drive. Reboot and drop in the BIOS setup. Update the first boot drive to the Ubuntu drive (search for the 500GB circle). Now you might as well have the ability to boot without having the 320GB drive associated.
Old 10-12-2011

Thanks much for the answers every warm body, luckily the grub instate charge worked similar to an appeal. I sharp it to sda and every last item boots up fine with the 320gb drive separated. Thanks much again, this safeguarded a ton of time!

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,