Thread: How secure is Dual boot on old Windows XP computer with Ubuntu

How secure is Dual boot on old Windows XP computer with Ubuntu

There was a old Windows XP computer at my Home. In that i have installed the ubuntu 10.04 as my friend suggested me. Yes, i have done a dual boot. This is the first time i am doing dual boot in my computer. So i have a doubt that there might be chance of attack from malware when i run it in Ubuntu nd then booted into Windows? I know that there will not be much harm for Ubuntu but what about Windows? you know that.

Re: How secure is Dual boot on old Windows XP computer with Ubuntu

Of course, the risk in the case is incremented, the only läst but difficult to say by how much. Practically similar to a USB flash drive you put inside the company network to any computer. The risk factor will both receive nothing, except that the probability of the USB flash drive higher multiples. The easiest way is to enable the installation of Ubuntu encryption. Here, / boot is not encrypted. To be exact, which is a small security risk if used as keyloggers. But Windows you'll probably need to encrypt their own mechanisms. Am lucky to not have a Windows expert.

Think this is more difficult. Attempts to encrypt Windows at run time are, perhaps Windows software. And for the encryption of Ubuntu are determined instructions. Probably booting live CD and then some commands. Search, such as "cryptsetup".

For a malware, it can infects your Windows using GNU / Linux, it must be doubly executable first as a bash script that executes itself on GNU / Linux and depositing an executable Windows on the partition of Seven directly into \ system32 .... Reassure you, it's twisted and it is science fiction. Precautions:
    • Do not install on Windows driver to read the help ext2/3/4
    • Do not stick anything on your partition from Seven GNU / Linux, if you find an interesting executable for Windows, the more glue on removable media that can be easily analyzed after startup.
    • Do not attempt to hack Windows for GNU / Linux except in cases of extreme urgency, the worst Virus, is the false manipulation.
    • Finally: It is possible to mount your NTFS from GNU / Linux read-only in this way, nothing can be added for GNU / Linux.

There are always risks, even if very small, but a virus moves from one bone to another is quite difficult if not impossible, by cons linux systems are not invulnerable, but it is on the virus and have the same impact on the window. Keep in mind that there are also antivirus programs for gnu / linux.

I do not think this can happen unless you upload a file from your linux partition to the XP partition and vice versa.

You talk about paranoia but I think it is legitimate to be concerned about the safety aspect of its system. For Linux partitions, you have no fear they will not be mounted by Windows, the other against the risk exists for the second disk. If it is shared by Linux and Win I guess it is NTFS. Your friend should know, Windows must be guarded with an arsenal of security software with a result not guaranteed.

Virtually every operating system has the potential to interact with each other. Therefore it is easy to imagine how a virus that resides in an operating system can also infect the other. Furthermore, if we set up dual boot on a computer and a second operating system installed on D: Some programs installed on the latter in turn may, in their functionality, always search the Windows folder C:, then going to interact with the wrong operating system. For more 'if you decide to delete the first partition would run the risk of invalidating the installation of some programs, making it inevitable formatting the computer.

Ubuntu, windows disk is available, a virus could easily delete the files from ubuntu to windows which would be unlikely but the risk exists. Another possibility is that you share files between two systems: in this case a file infected with a virus that you would receive windows. Ubuntu is inactive on this one but if you made the switch to Windows and you open it in windows so it can do damage.

It's very unlikely that the Ubuntu partition itself is challenged from within Windows. From experience, I can tell you that it is the data that is accessible partitions on both of the OS are vulnerable. Specifically, the data that is in your external hard drive, as they will be accessible from both Windows and Ubuntu since it is they who will be vulnerable. You can get Ubuntu for viruses that will infect Windows via the common storage.