Thread: Windows 7 install with manual Storage/User Files

Windows 7 install with manual Storage/User Files

I am thinking to install the Windows 7 on my computer but I need to have the manual storage for the user files like "My Documents, My Music, My Videos" folders and not the default one that get created automatically. It should also provide me choice to select the location where I can install my applications. ms office and email like things , I need to have on the SSD and my games which is of many GB's should be on the HDD. So can you tell me that if this is possible or not.

Re: Windows 7 install with manual Storage/User Files

Once you are completed with the installation of the Windows 7 on the SSD then it is possible to shift the user data folders onto some other disk. Below is the method to do that.
    • Just go to C:\Users\<your user name>
    • From there right click on My Documents.
    • Select properties.
    • Click on the Location.
    • Enter the new folder path over there.
    • Finally click on move.

This is it and you are done with that. I hope that this will be helpful to you.

I would like to tell you that many of the applications will allow you to provide the location of the installation folder and after selecting that you will be able to continue with the procedure of installation. If you want then you will be able to make the Programs or Program Files folder into the HDD and make use of that. I hope that you will do that easily.

I am having some other doubt regarding this and wish to have suggestion from you people. If the SSD gets crashed or something and it requires a replacement then can I replace that and install the operating system to it without losing my previous data. I am talking about the programs and the files that I ,have installed to my HDD. It has not happened to me yet but still I wish to have knowledge about this so that it will not be problem for me if it happens to me in future. Please reply for this.

Sorry, but once you have reinstalled the operating system or change the SSD then you will lose the all the installation done previously.You will have to install the programs once again. This is because, once you do the installation then it puts some information about the program that you are installing and once that is removed then you will not have access to the programs anymore. I hope this will clear your doubts regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Parker View Post
    Once you are completed with the installation of the Windows 7 on the SSD then it is possible to shift the user data folders onto some other disk. Below is the method to do that.
    • Just go to C:\Users\<your user name>
    • From there right click on My Documents.
    • Select properties.
    • Click on the Location.
    • Enter the new folder path over there.
    • Finally click on move.

This is it and you are done with that. I hope that this will be helpful to you.
    Thank you so much for your reply. This worked for me. If anyone else over here want to do the same then go through the same method.