Thread: Mac still using virtual memory when free physical memory available

Mac still using virtual memory when free physical memory available

I have a 2011 i7 quad core Mac; I was hoping it would scream. Most of the time it does. However when trying to edit within FCPX I get a extremely unsatisfactory experience with many pauses if I don't close every single other program.

I have 8GB of physical memory and when I’m experiencing these troubles I observe that i still have 1-2 gb of physical memory free or inactive. At the same time FCPX is only using 2 GB of memory. I just come about to keep an eye on the VM page in/outs and observe them going up.

What is happening with physical memory?

Re: Mac still using virtual memory when free physical memory available

For the reason that without virtual memory, managing PC RAM is a royal pain. Virtual memory cost you nothing, and gains you enormous reimbursement, even if you do not become aware of it.

There are a lot of troubles running a modern operating system without virtual memory. For case all the shared libraries and frameworks that offer services to an application would require to be compiled into the application,Resulting expenditure of ram

You would be requisite to discover an adjacent chunk of RAM to run your application. Virtual memories allows gathering any 4K chunk of RAM, building a virtual memory map for all those random 4K chunks, and give the impression of being like one large contiguous chunk of RAM, so you can run your application right here.

Virtual memory offer protection from a further program looking at and modifying your program's RAM. Malware would just feel affection for for virtual memory to go away. You desire virtual memory. What you do not desire is extreme paging activity.

If you are concerned, then you can launch Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Once you have a terminal command prompt, enter the following command:
    Code:
    sar -g 60 100

Life would be much not as good as without it. if you have a improved thought, write a research paper, and acquire operating system vendors to implement your thoughts. I am severe, as I've seen many accepted computing thoughts to be overturned by good new-fangled thoughts

Yes I absolutely love having virtual memory with all the huge reimbursement you described for the apps and the OS. I just don't like extreme paging activity whilst the OS itself reports that i have GBs of physical memory still obtainable.

I do not know the specifics of your situation, nevertheless, not all pageout activity is operating system generated. Naturally it is, however an application can straight map a file into memory (mmap() system call) and then read and write that file as if it was ordinary memory. Reading the file would generate pagein activity. Writing the file would generate pageout activity.

Not a lot of applications do this, as it is generally faster to actually use normal file read/write operations with effective read-ahead and write-behind algorithms.

I have an eye on the upcoming 1tb SSD. I'll keep an eye on 16 GB RAM prices for MacBook pro too. They've come right down. It's just a bit annoying not knowing what is causing the troubles I do still wonder if VM paging is involved however actually that would just put forward that the memory management and coverage is broken down, which I extremely a lot hesitation. So perhaps it’s as you said and some other stuff is coming in on disk.

You might NOT require a 1TB SSD to acquire high-quality performance out of the boot disk. You might be capable to make use of a 128GB (or 256GB) SSD boot disk, and then just put the essential boot stuff (along with the swap files) on the SSD, and make use of UNIX symlinks to shift unnecessary storage to customary disks.

1tb SSD appeals is my 750 GB system disk is at present nearly filled, 90 GB free. I necessitate clearing it out, and hoping that fragmentation isn't too awful. I know we're not meant to worry about fragmentation too much, nevertheless when you observe the disk hurting you you do wonder.