Thread: How to Merge folders in OS X Lion

How to Merge folders in OS X Lion

When you attempt to combine two folders with the similar name, the search engine now present to merge them into a single folder.anyone got any info how to replace or merge folder

Re: How to Merge folders in OS X Lion

If you copy the folder (cmd + c) and then move to the new function cmd + alt + v (copy and paste), then your order to replace or keep both (also copy and paste).

It works with drag and drop, too. Merely hold down Alt / Option to copy by drag and drop. Does not work with motion,just copy. Accomplishment annoying, since you have to turn around and remove the unique to modify with this technique. Implementation annoying that lastly began melting.

Depending on the contents of folders of the same name that you are trying to combine, sometimes offer the option "Keep a time" option (when there is no file in a folder with the same name in the folder), or otherwise only offer "Stop", "Replace".

All of this is just annoying, puzzling, and absolutely not helping in any way. I wanted an answer that is non-destructive and made me stop perturbing about losing data when merging folders. Instead I acquire an explanation that tries to encourage me, that "the whole thing will be alright" when in reality it will not be. In fact, the way it was before what Lion even superior, for the reason that you only had to know that merging is not obtainable and "replace" really meant "replace and remove the old stuff".

I had an extremely easy test case, and it worked OK. Not that your examples aren't pretty essential tasks. I’m with you on the "superior before Lion." This is supposed to be File Management 101 in any operating system.

I'm wondering if the "Serial Letter" and the "Form Letter" are "translations" of "Version Document" i.e. an incremental name transform keeping both documents nevertheless editing the name to generate one with an addition to that name to show it is identical, although dissimilar in its versioning?

I just tested it once more. The file at the target folder will be overwritten, they will not be merged and no new-fangled version is added to the document. I completed two test documents "test.rtf" in different folders of the similar name. One contained some red colored text.

The other a number of blue texts. When I tried the ploy with just the one document in each folder, I could acquire neither "Keep both" nor "Serial Letter", it asked me to replace or stop no matter which folder I tried to copy to the further folders position. Copy direction didn't matter.

I have the similar judgment; this has to be one of the most wanting areas of Mac OS X. They got this useful comparison dialog when there’s something in conflict when you sync your contacts with Google, MobileMe, and iTunes.Something actually user-friendly for contradictory file and folder names?

You have folders of the similar name in dissimilar locations. You then move one of them to the place where the other resides. Prior to OS X Lion you would've been asked if you desire to put back the folder that by now there at the target path, or to abort this move .Now in Lion you are theoretical to be asked whether or not you want to merge the contents of both folders into the existing folder at the target path.

I just spent an hour on the phone with apple. I explained how in Lion, without the Skip option copying (command+C or option+ dragging) a group of files where some are new and some are filename conflicts it won’t paste the new files in if replacing the duplicate files is not chosen.

This must be a problem since when you move files; it does move the new files while then giving you the option box to deal with the duplicates.