Thread: Ironhide or Bumblebee for Nvidia Optimus in ubuntu

Ironhide or Bumblebee for Nvidia Optimus in ubuntu

I’m having the HP laptop which have the Nvidia Optimus graphics card that runs on the ubuntu 11.10. But after searching for long I came to know that optimus graphics card would be able to run only if I install the Ironhide or Bumblebee. So want to know that among this two which one is the best to install in my laptop and should not freeze or crash while playing the game..

Re: Ironhide or Bumblebee for Nvidia Optimus in ubuntu

See as you are looking for the best software to install it on to your laptop which should run the graphics card without any freezing or crashing. Then I will suggest you to go with the ironhide as this is the best one which would not get any issue while playing the games.

I’m using the dell laptop on which I run the ubuntu OS and have the same graphics card of the Nvidia Optimus. So for this I had earlier installed the ironhide software in to my laptop. at the starting the I had no issue with the software it worked properly but after a week when it started lagging in the game and moreover the game got freezed at one of the level so I had to restart the game and lost the previous saved level in the game.

So I tried to installing the Bumblebee software on to my laptop and after which I never got the issue of crashing / freezing the laptop.

Yaeh.. the above guy have mentioned it correctly. The Bumblebee software is indeed better than the ironhide as it never got any type of issues of stucking or hanging of the laptop while playing the game and If you are thinking of installing the software then definitely you should go for the Bumblebee software.

I want to know that what actually the ironhide is as I’m too having the similar laptop with the optimus graphics card and run on the ubuntu OS. But want to know what exactly the ironhide features have. Because I don’t have the idea about the ironhide features , so would like to know about it.

I want to know that what actually the ironhide is as I’m too having the similar laptop with the optimus graphics card and run on the ubuntu OS. But want to know what exactly the ironhide features have. Because I don’t have the idea about the ironhide features , so would like to know about it.
    Here are the features for the ironhide which you were looking for:-

* Graphical User Interface for Configuration and Submit system.
    * Tests build into the Configuration, for easy bug reporting.
    * Major cleanup, removed all content not related to Ubuntu.
    * Updated VirtualGL.

I don’t think ironhide is the best to have in your laptop. As I had earlier installed the software on to my laptop. after using this what I saw was that bit laging and didn’t ran the game smoothly as use to do with the Bumblebee software which I installed it after I was disappointed with ironhide performance. So I would advise you that if you want to intall the software from this two then you should try installing the Bumblebee instead of the ironhide.

I’m not getting how you are saying that the Bumblebee is the best one to install in the laptop as you are looking. Because I have been using the software of the Bumblebee from when and didn’t find any features in the software worth installing. As the greatest drawback of the software is that it consumes more energy of the laptop while playing the game with this software. And there are many other things which I didn’t like in the software. So my recommendation to you would be that you should try installing the ironhide software which is best to use.

I had tried installing the Bumblebee software using the customizing setting and was able to install the nvidia driver which detected on its own but when I clicked on the next tab it showed me the error "Bumblebee X server failed to start" . so I did with the same procedure and persisted with the same problem. so I want to know how can I install it on to my laptop.

For this I would suggest you that you should try downloading the ironhide software again and try to install it again on to your laptop, because there might be possibilities that your previous ironhide file would be corrupted and due to that you are not able install it properly.