Thread: How to remove "lock" files in root of linux ubuntu?

How to remove "lock" files in root of linux ubuntu?

I don’t have much knowledge about the linux ubuntu 11.10 but then I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and I am willing to remove "lock" files in root of linux ubuntu . I have tried doing that from the Home folder but then it did not helped or maybe I am doing it wrong, so I just wanted to know the proper procedure of using the apt command line. So is there anyone who can help me out. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to remove "lock" files in root of linux ubuntu?

I don’t have much knowledge about the linux ubuntu 11.10 but then I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and I am willing to remove "lock" files in root of linux ubuntu . I have tried doing that from the Home folder but then it did not helped or maybe I am doing it wrong, so I just wanted to know the proper procedure of using the apt command line. So is there anyone who can help me out. Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
    First of all I will like to know that why do you want to remove it but then if you really want to do the same then just open a terminal and then enter the below code:
    sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    After doing this just copy and paste the result here so I can take a look at it and help you further as well.

This is what I have got:
    ankit@Dell-745:~$ sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    [sudo] password for ankit:
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/ankit/.gvfs
    Output information may be incomplete.
    ankit@Dell-745:~$ ^C
    ankit@Dell-745:~$

I think that the above method is not helping you out can you just type the below command in to a terminal and then again copy and paste the same so I can take a look at what it returns:
    ps aux | grep -E "apt|synaptic|software-center|update-manager|dpkg|aptitude"

This is what I have found now:
    ankit@Dell-745:~$ ps aux | grep -E "apt|synaptic|software-center|update-manager|dpkg|aptitude"
    ankit 2431 0.0 0.0 4444 800 pts/0 S+ 16:19 0:00 grep --color=auto -E apt|synaptic|software-center|update-manager|dpkg|aptitude

You can delete the lock file by entering the below command into a terminal:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    You might have to enter the password for the same but then I will like to inform you that the same will not come as a prompt on your screen and the other thing that I wanted to know is that after seeing the result that you have posted it doesn’t not appear as it is locked can you just tell me that what exactly you are willing to perform??

Actually as I told before that I have recently switched to the ubuntu and as far as I remember I had made the installation by upgrading 105 files approximately 105 files and just 2 days before had added apt-get clean and auto clean and after adding it I came across this lock notice and I thought that I have to remove it to avoid further problem that might be caused because of it. Anyways I have tried the above solution but then I am still able to see the lock file in the lists file. Other than that I also wanted to share that my computer is not able to download any programs from the Ubuntu software downloads and I am always getting a "check network connection" message whenever I am trying to download any application. Any further help will be appreciated

Actually as I told before that I have recently switched to the ubuntu and as far as I remember I had made the installation by upgrading 105 files approximately 105 files and just 2 days before had added apt-get clean and auto clean and after adding it I came across this lock notice and I thought that I have to remove it to avoid further problem that might be caused because of it. Anyways I have tried the above solution but then I am still able to see the lock file in the lists file. Other than that I also wanted to share that my computer is not able to download any programs from the Ubuntu software downloads and I am always getting a "check network connection" message whenever I am trying to download any application. Any further help will be appreciated.
    Before I suggest you something for the "check network connection" just answer me the following questions:
    • Are you facing any problem in browsing over the internet?
    • Are you using a proxy?
    • What are you suing to connect to the internet, I mean are you using the network manager or wvdial?

I will like to explain the same I am using Dell Optiplex 745 which is switched to Pent 4( 2.8ghz) with a hard wired connection and I am not using any kind of proxy and I am very well able to browse but then I am not able to connect to the Ubuntu Software Center. Hope my situation is clear to you now. Any further help regarding this will be appreciated.

Ok then just open the terminal and then type the following:
    sudo apt-get update
    After this you will get a large so now just check if you are getting any kind of connection failed error or something and if then just try to ping the server and then paste what you get as a output. Hope that’s clear.

Yes I am getting Connection failed [IP: 192.168.1. 7] and after that I ping the server by ping –c3 192.168.1. 7 and then I got the following:
    ankit@Dell-745:~$ ping -c3 192.168.1.7
    PING 192.168.1.7 (192.168.1.7) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.7: icmp_req=1 ttl=44 time=128 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.7: icmp_req=2 ttl=44 time=131 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.7: icmp_req=3 ttl=44 time=151 ms

--- 192.168.1.7 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 128.648/137.355/151.468/10.078 ms
    ankit@Dell-745:~$ ^C