Thread: Need help!! After deleting Linux partition I am getting "error: no such partition" grub rescue>

Need help!! After deleting Linux partition I am getting "error: no such partition" grub rescue>

I am getting this "error: no such partition" grub rescue> after I deleted Linux partition actually I was having Linux partition as well as windows partition on my hard drive and I have now deleted it because I was not using it anymore and I am getting this error while booting. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Need help!! After deleting Linux partition I am getting "error: no such partition" grub rescue>

I am getting this "error: no such partition" grub rescue> after I deleted Linux partition actually I was having Linux partition as well as windows partition on my hard drive and I have now deleted it because I was not using it anymore and I am getting this error while booting. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Hey I am having the same case even I have deleted the Linux partition on my hard drive and after I got this message I had tried to install the Windows 7 media and after booting I chose the "Repair your computer” and then after its search I got Windows 7 highlighted in order to use the recovery tool and further I proceeded with the Startup Repair option but then I got a message saying that "Startup Repair could not detect a problem." And now I am again dragged back to the same "error: no such partition. grub rescue>". I am really running out of ideas is there any other solution that I can try out.

Re: Need help!! After deleting Linux partition I am getting "error: no such partition" grub rescue>

I have tried out the same thing and I have got the same kind of response and I think that choosing the System Restore option to solve this out is really not a better option of there is not solution left then trying it out. I am considering this to be my last option because I don’t want to lose any data. So I just wanted to know if there is any other solution to fix it out?

I will suggest you to try the Startup Repair process from the command prompt and in order to do that just follow the below steps:
    O to start and then click on run and then type the following commands and make sure that you press enter after every command:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    After that just close the command prompt and then click the ‘Startup Repair’ option and after you get these 2 messages: Windows cannot repair this computer automatically” and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”.
    Clicking on the X of the Send/Don’t send window and then just click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and then click on ‘Startup Repair’ entering main menu again. After you get a prompt “Startup Repair could not detect a problem” just click on ‘Finish’ then repeat the whole process one more time in the same way and then remove the System Repair DVD and then reboot.
    Just perform this and see if it is making any difference or not and then let me know what you get.

Hey I am really thankful to you for sharing such a detail solution with me, I thought that I will have to do a System Restore in order to get rid of this but then I am really happy that I have finally solved it out, I really appreciate your help. Thanks once again.

Hey thanks for this I have tried out only the below command lines:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    After inserting the windows 7 disk and after that I had rebooted the machine and then I found that I am not getting the same message again, I have also checked it rebooting the machine a couple of times but then I am not getting the same message anymore. I don’t know how come it worked for me just completing the half of the solution. I am happy that I have solved it but then I just wanted to know is it possible to get it work like that?

I don’t have an idea about that I think that one needs to complete the solution to get rid of this but if you are saying that you have solved it out by just entering those command lines in the command prompt then I think that you might be luck with it even though it is still surprising for me because I had never came across this situation before. Anyways I am also happy that I managed to solve your problem.

I am having the same problem, I mean that I have started getting the same message after I have deleted the Linux Ubuntu on my hard drive and it occurred when I was maintaining Windows 7 Starter and after that when I had restarted the computer. Even thought I have seen the solution above I just wanted to know that is it possible to do the same without the cd-drive? And I am asking you so because I have downloaded Windows 7 Pro OS and I have also formatted my 8GB thumbdrive to FAT32 and after that the other problem I am facing is that the cd drive is not getting recognized. Hope you understood my situation.

In that case you will have to get a hard drive utility in order to write all zeros to the front/begining of the drive and using this you will be able to remove the traces of Grub. I will suggest you to use the Western Digital as it is having this feature as I have been using the same in such cases and I have suggested the same to others as well and they have solved their problem with it.

I think that a better option for you will be I getting a external DVD drive and if it is possible to arrange one than just get it and then plug the and you have all the work around above. Best of luck.

I am really thankful to your solution because I have solved the problem by the same, it did not worked for me by doing the half of the solution as Kanesteyn has specified but then after completing the whole steps I solved it out. Any ways thanks to others as well for their help.