Thread: what is "Protogon" file system ?

what is "Protogon" file system ?

HI, i have recently installed windows 8 in my machine and have noticed one newer thing in it as when i was checking the properties of a folder i came to know that there is another type of file system as well offered by the windows 8. I was quite amazed after seeing that, currently i am not that aware about the file system much, but i would like to suggest you that guys if you have installed windows 8 in the machine then you should also check the same. and if someone is getting some sort of information about the same please let me know what is that’s exactly? Is this file system better than the tradition one that’s the FAT 32 and NTFS? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: what is "Protogon" file system ?

Yeah you are right as Microsoft is building a new file system into Windows 8, and they have named the file system “Protogon” according to various sources. Along with this i have also heard that the “NT Protogon FS driver”, which come into view to be a kernel mode driver for a new file system.

Users are recommend that Protogon, just as the rest of Windows 8, is extremely much still a work in progress. This means that it’s not exactly ready for everyday exercise, nor is it planned for invention surroundings. I have heard that testers that previously created Protogon volumes disclose that the partitions and drives with the latest file system come into view to not only be faster compared to whilst formatted with NTFS, but also permit the user to make use of more space. At the similar instance it’s clear that Protogon is still incredibly early on in the development procedure, ever since not all Windows 8 components play fine with the file system, save for Disk Management and Windows Explorer, and merely to a definite extent.

Yeah i have also experienced the same thing with my system see i have mentioned the IMAGE as well. i am also not that much aware about the same, but assuming as this is newer one so obviously it will be better than the previous one.

i would say “Protogon” sounds like Microsoft’s innovative concept of Windows Future Storage that’s “WinFS”. As I have mentioned the name as “WinFS” was originally made its way into Longhorn, Windows Vista builds throughout the early beta phases as the extent to i know.

This is a promise from Microsoft as an superior storage subsystem designed to administer data by means of a database. The WinFS database would permit each kind of information to be stored in it alongside a definite schema for the data type. The idea was to achieve rapidity in searching and data sharing among applications. Microsoft abandoned the plan previous to Windows Vista was brought to market.

I am completely agree with the above user, and i think this is the only information leaked yet for the file system we are discussing. But still if you wanted to have more information about the same, then i would like to recommend you that you should try to visit the WIKIPEDIA for the further information regarding the same as when i was searching about the same i came to know that they have mentioned all the thing quite precisely over there.

this is really good yeah, because i think this would surely replace out traditional file system presented in the machine. but still is there anyways through which we can format the whole drive with this file system? Thanks for the valuable suggestions.

this is really good yeah, because i think this would surely replace out traditional file system presented in the machine. but still is there anyways through which we can format the whole drive with this file system? Thanks for the valuable suggestions.
    Yeah off course you can do that but still before that you should make sure as you have installed build 7955 than you can format partition to "Protogon" by using CMD and diskpart. See i have mentioned all the steps perfectly for doing the same, so you can refer it.

• Run CMD with admin rights.

• In CMD type "diskpart"

• Diskpart command line will pop up, type "sel dis <number disk="" is="" located="" of="" partition="" where="" your="">" //You can get list of disk by typing "list disk"

• "sel par <number of="" partition="" your="">" //You can get list of your partitions by typing "list partition"

• "format FS=protogon QUICK"

That’s it, as the system completes this formatting process you can have the drive with this file system.