Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-11-2011

Default Win 7 x64 - sharing drive and folders within

Hi all,

Previously, I have a Windows XP laptop that acts as a "file server" for multiple users. I allow network access to the drive and folder as follow:

1). Entire drive (i.e. USB connected external HDD)
Access by mapping to "\\ComputerName\Z$" and login as the Administrator

2). Specific folder (i.e. "Music" folder in the USB connected external HDD)
- First, create a local NON-ADMINISTRATOR account in the Windows XP laptop say, "Bob"
- Right-click on the "Music" folder, select sharing and add "Bob" under "Permission". I did NOT add anybody else as the Administrator always have full access to the drive AND the folder inside that drive
- Access by mapping to "\\ComputerName\Music"

In the above instance, I can still access the "Music" folder remotely (network map) as Administrator.

However, in Windows 7, this does not work. Unless I add the Administrator account in the "Music" folder sharing permission, only "Bob" can access that folder, even though I have Administrator Full Access for the entire Z: drive.

Moreover, even when I access the "Music" folder directly (not through the network) while sitting in front of that computer, I get "Access restricted" message (!!!).

So the issue is:
- The permission for a drive does NOT propagate in the above instance
- Even when accessing the machine physically, I can get "locked out" of my own folder.

Any ideas how to replicate what I did in Windows XP to Windows 7?

NOTE: I do NOT use Home Group as there is a mixture of Mac and Windows machines at my home.
Old 21-06-2012

Re: Default Win 7 x64 - sharing drive and folders within

If you have installed or enabled any antivirus system or Firewall, then try to disable it and then try to check if you are able to access the drive properly or not. You can also refer to some similar kind of threads made on this forum here - File Sharing not working between Windows 7 and Windows XP

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,