Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 is very laggy on Lenovo ThinkPad T400

Ubuntu 10.10 is very laggy on Lenovo ThinkPad T400

I buy this Lenovo ThinkPad T400 laptop on last month and within one month I installed Ubuntu 10.10 with the previously running windows 7. Both are works but when I boot system with Ubuntu 10.10 OS, I found that it is slightly laggy. Mouse cursor has been moved for just few seconds and speed of this system is being also bit slow compared with the other windows 7 system. What should I do that works to fix this complex issue? Need any meaningful information about this issue.

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 is very laggy on Lenovo ThinkPad T400

You can try to boot up Ubuntu in safe mode with no graphical effects. I hope that the safe mode of this ubuntu will be help to boot the system with the proper format. In this safe mode, processor only load basic configuration on its primary memory. I hope that this safe mode will be avoiding such laggy problem onto such high configuration based Lenovo system.

There are a few things we need to know, particularly which chipset the device uses and drivers that running onto this laptop system. Hence I would be say that try to first check that the driver and chipset present on your laptop system is being compatible with this Ubuntu or not. You can do this testing task with the help of the lsusb command onto your ubuntu system. Lsusb is a utility for displaying information about USB buses in the system and the devices connected to them. Hence try this and check what result arrives onto it.

Lsusb is safer to use than looking at /proc/scsi. Hence I also suggest to you that try this command on your terminal window and locate what type of connection has been made with your laptop system. This will help to identify that problem arrives because of the connected devices or the inbuilt software programs.

If file copies are speedy in both directions, I'd slant in the direction of a name resolution matter. This slowness was when copying several large files. In that case, we require uninstalling MS Security Essentials. It guards your PC against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. But most of the time it also makes an side effect, Such as, restricting few applications as well as necessary drivers for app running and connectivity purpose. Hence in that case we need to disable this software onto this ubuntu system. This will be work to improve the speed of the ubuntu on this laptop system. Hence try this simple thing and check what result arrives onto it.

You need to check the already installed graphics driver of your ubuntu system. For doing this process, simply go to system->administration->additional drivers menu. It shows you number already installed graphics driver. Then install necessary driver and check its result after booting your ubuntu in this Lenovo system.

Htop – is an interactive process viewer for Linux. It is designed to replace the UNIX program top. It is similar to task manager in windows 7, but allows to scroll the list vertically and horizontally to see all processes. Htop is ncurses-based process viewer. Installing on Ubuntu is as simple as apt-get… You can also grab the source from the htop site. With the help of this htop you can check all the running process. This is very help and it will be work to fix your ubuntu works very slow problem. try this and check its performance.

Yes, you need to used the top command on the terminal and then locate CPU busy percentage. If it is very huge you need to kill running process of the system. Then only you can able to fix this issue. This is really helpful to fix your problem.

You tried mouse properties in system=>preferences=>mouse=> enable scrolling. This will be work to stop unnecessary scrolling of the mouse pointer. Hence try this and check what result arrives onto it. I have the same laptop, and the same problem. then I try this mentioned solutions on my laptop and it works to fix my issue. You can also try this and check its performance result arrives on your laptop screen.

I’m not sure with slowness issue but simply, Had you enabled the Download all updates in the Background option. This will be works to keep the system as been slow. In that case, I would be suggest to you that try to do the disabling this download update task. Sometimes, it would be makes problem and it regularly update this ubuntu os. In this regularly updating the ubuntu has been makes bad effect and then you can found that the system has been very slow because of bad setup files arrive on it. You need to check this thing on your laptop and if there is something happening on it, you need to do some serious task. In that case, just try to disable this option. It might be work to fix your problem.

if you have a dual boot your laptop, you need to use Speakeasy Speed Test on it. This will be help to notice the available issues and its related solutions over this Lenovo system. You can also take help of the official site expert person. Try this simple thing and check what result arrives onto it. Also the manual help to provide the troubleshooting information over this Lenovo laptop system.