Thread: How to dual boot on two different drive in Linux system?

How to dual boot on two different drive in Linux system?

I am unique when it approaches Linux so sad in development. My colleagues educated me concerning Linux and I was intrigued by attempting it out so I chose to fix it today. Essentially I’ve been windows users all my essence. I had a 70g hard head with windows XP instated on it but as my hard drive got full I purchased a 500 GB hard drive. I divided about 200 GB of my late hard head for space and had about 300 GB unallocated. So today, I chose to give Mint 10 an attempt. Downloaded the 32-digit DVD iso smoldered it to DVD and installation. In the midst of installation, I constructed a 1 GB swap partition and a 15 GB partition for Mint on my 500GB hard drive utilizing ext4. I finalize installation and restarted but now I can’t get into windows xp anymore. It actually goes straight into Mint 10. How to fix it?

Re: How to dual boot on two different drive in Linux system?

establishment) is that the installer attempts to consider alternate managing systems. In any case, you would be able to sort into a terminal / support
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    then you have to enter you then you need to drop in you password (elements are not indicated) and a record "grub.cfg" is produced (characters are not shown) and a file "grub.cfg" is generated.

You can read this file by typing:
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Search for an entry "windows"; perhaps you might as well present this record by deciding on the image "code" and copy / paste the substance amidst the pair of [].

Generating grub.cfg ...
    • Found Debian background: linuxmint.png
    • Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic
    • Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
    • Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    • Done….

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    [LIST][*]# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub[*]### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###[*]#if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then[*]#set have_grubenv=true[*]#load_env[*]#fi
    Code:
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
    set have_grubenv=true
    load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
    set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
    save_env saved_entry
    set prev_saved_entry=
    save_env prev_saved_entry
    set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
    if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
    fi
    }

function recordfail {
    set recordfail=1
    if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd1,msdos3)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 53dd8038-85f4-47c1-a1a8-7a7aaf227f53
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
    set gfxmode=640x480
    load_video
    insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd1,msdos3)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 53dd8038-85f4-47c1-a1a8-7a7aaf227f53
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
    set timeout=-1
    else
    set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

sda is my 74.4 GB hard head with XP, initially my just head until it got full sdb is my 500 GB hard drive
    • -essential partition sdb1, ntfs, has some diversions and some movie/audio indexes that I utilize for windows (about 225gb I suppose)
    • -sdb3, ext4, was what I partitioned to establish Linux (15 GB)
    • -sdb5 swap, (1gb)
    • -rest might as well be unallocated (about 250-260gb I suspect)

I went into BIOS again today and attempted to disturb the boot device necessity. It spared me the time to pick from 2 hard drives. I pick the 1st HDD and it unequivocally takes me to Mint without double boot menu. I attempted the 2nd HDD and it expresses something like pick a boot device and attempt again or something. I disregarded the right wording but it doesn’t give me a chance to do anything and I need to restart comp.

To settle the mbr you should set the boot request in your Bios to boot to your Windows Disk. Run your windows CD then prefer to r repair. Then once you get there you desire to move to drop in the admin pass and depending on if you didn’t put one in when you stacked windows then press drop in. Once you get to the c arouse then drop in I accept it is fixmbr. You would like to double checks that by sorting help first. At the same time there is an approach to get grub to work I think for some explanation its placed on the wrong drive. I am still studying myself so confidently a guru can help us. For the interval I will continue looking. I surmise that assuming that you boot with a Live CD and run.

I could propose booting a Live CD or USB and have a get a load of the substance of the drive. In the event that your Xp introduction is still there you require (as a least) to run fixmbr to re-instate the Windows local bootloader on that drive. When you declared the drive was "full" this might be a situation as Xp ought to have 25% unlimited space for the purpose that it could probably defragment fittingly. In the event that it gets too full it would be able to head to booting situations. Since its the Linux establishment on the "2nd HDD", disengage the Xp drive and establish Grub. Utilizing the Boot Device Selection Menu you require a bootloader on each drive. IMO this is beyond question the most basic strategy of setting up a double boot on a few drives.

I was messing around with the Windows XP CD and I popped it in and booted into the XP installation. To begin with, I attempted to repair windows so I pressed R but it declared it couldn’t distinguish any hard drives. I rebooted over into XP installation and attempted to introduce brand new windows. Setup did not distinguish any hard drives.

Inasmuch as your Mint is running OK it, but it cannot distinguish Win XP partition. Now even win XP CD cannot identify XP partition, SO there is a heightened risk the XP partition has been debased. Could be attempt repair the document framework by gparted. Utilize Live CD, run gparted, from there you ought to see every last trace of the several drives and all allotments, you in addition will know which your XP partition is. ON gparted GUI, click XP partition, unmount it assuming that it is mounted. Then click it again, from the menu you are able to see a 'Check' following unmount and Manage flag. That is the one, following 'Check', click connect and plan to see an exceptional report from gparted.

When you see at bottom of GUI about 1 operation pending, it indicates you have not APPLY yet please click the APPLY, this is a symbol at second beat, when you rodent over you could probably peruse "Apply all Operations".