Thread: Which one is better Linux Mint 11 Katya or Linux Mint 11 Julia

Which one is better Linux Mint 11 Katya or Linux Mint 11 Julia

I have recently installed Linux Mint 11 Katya and it is doing quite well but then I want to know that how is the performance of the Linux Mint 11 Julia. I mean I want to know if there are any better gains Julia as compared to the Katya. I have been using the distro mostly for the BBC iPlayer but then I just wanted to know that which one is better Linux Mint 11 Katya or Linux Mint 11 Julia. Is there anyone who has a good idea about the both and can tell me which one is better for flash streaming? Any suggestion for this will be appreciated.

Re: Which one is better Linux Mint 11 Katya or Linux Mint 11 Julia

I have recently installed Linux Mint 11 Katya and it is doing quite well but then I want to know that how is the performance of the Linux Mint 11 Julia. I mean I want to know if there are any better gains Julia as compared to the Katya. I have been using the distro mostly for the BBC iPlayer but then I just wanted to know that which one is better Linux Mint 11 Katya or Linux Mint 11 Julia. Is there anyone who has a good idea about the both and can tell me which one is better for flash streaming? Any suggestion for this will be appreciated.
    As far as I am aware I think that the Katya is better because I have found that it is bit faster through its 2.6.38 kernel and it also boots faster as well but then it needs more disk space as compared to the Julia so if that matters to you then I think that there is no harm in staying with the Julia and as far as the flash streaming is concerned I don’t think that they will make much difference but here I will like to inform you that the Katya is having a better support for the graphics card. I mean that if you are having latest card then you will get better performance with it and you can also get the best result in playing the video. Hope that helps.

Yes even I have found that the Katya is having better support for latest hardware as you have mentioned that it will give better performance with the latest graphic card and it is so because it is using newer kernel as compared to that of the Julia. The Other advantage that I have found is that it is having some newer software as well which can give you a better performance. I have also heard them saying in a release that if they if you have been using Julia and if it is working fine for you then it will be better to stick with the Julia itself. That does not mean that Julia is better than the Katya but it is just that it is in the RC stage recently and it is also having something which has to be work out and make it completely ready. If I talk about my personal experience then think that there are a number of things which has to be polished in order to give a better user experience like the Julia.

I have found that there is a big bug in the kernel of the Katya and also in the distros latest version and I think that it will affect the computers, netbook, desktops etc.So If you are willing to install it then I will suggest you to run live dvd and if there are some kind of bug affects you’re your system will get a jump as high as 30 to 40 percent increase in the power consumption because of which you will notice that the fan will be running almost for every time when you will be suing your computer in order to make it cool and I think that this is a serious thing to play out with I mean that if something’s gets wrong with the fan and you don’t come to know about it then it can affect your processor as well. I will say that this is one of the reasons that have not allowed my mind to go for katya and I am even having hesitation in getting latest version of the distros with it.

I really don’t think so I think that the 30 to 40 percent increase in the power consumption is much more that you have mentioned than the actual one and I think that there are very few chances where these things can happen and I am saying this because I have tested it myself and I will like to share that I had installed it on my laptop and I think that there was approximately 10 to 15 percent of increase and I think that this was the maximum that I have faced and I think that it is making less voice then before and it makes me feel that the hardware are giving better performance and I think that it is also giving me better performance than the windows 7 that I was having previously.

I really don’t think so I think that the 30 to 40 percent increase in the power consumption is much more that you have mentioned than the actual one and I think that there are very few chances where these things can happen and I am saying this because I have tested it myself and I will like to share that I had installed it on my laptop and I think that there was approximately 10 to 15 percent of increase and I think that this was the maximum that I have faced and I think that it is making less voice then before and it makes me feel that the hardware are giving better performance and I think that it is also giving me better performance than the windows 7 that I was having previously.

I think that you might be the lucky one because even I have tested it with my Toshiba Laptop and I am having a 64 bit processor as well but then I have found that new kernel is causing the problem on my laptop whenever I am trying to use any distro and I have also faced the power problem and I have experienced that the fan keeps running all the time and I think that the laptop is getting overheated as compared to the previous version of windows that I was using and I really don’t think that increase in the power consumption that he has specified is right and it is not exaggerated it in any sense.

Yes I have found a no of people who have mentioned that they have experienced overheating and more power consumption problem after installing the katya and I think that this issue should be considered as the highest priority issue and they should work on it as soon as possible.I think that I will think of switching to the katya after its final release only because I really can take the risk of damaging my system and till then I will stick to the Julia.

Hey guys thanks for all your information and after going through your suggestions and experiences I have made my mind that even I will stick to the Julia until the final product of the katya is released and I think that I will wait for one more month after its final release to get more deeper ideas about it. Any ways once again thanks to all of you for sharing all this.