Thread: Troubleshooting with Update Manager and Synaptic in Linux Mint 11

Troubleshooting with Update Manager and Synaptic in Linux Mint 11

Just installed Mint 11 and it worked fantastic with the exception of that
    I could not run Update manager or Synaptic package chief. I have modified nothing
    from the ISO install.
    I get the following error messages.
    Code:
    E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list
    (dist parse)
    E: Unable to lock the list directory
    Than after I hit "close" in the next window I get:
    E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list
    E: the list of sources could not be reached
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache -> open () failed, please report
    I do have internet access as I am running Firefox as I compose this message. 
    It's doubtlessly a straightforward install I am simply too clueless to how 
    to install it.

Re: Troubleshooting with Update Manager and Synaptic in Linux Mint 11

"In the first place check your sources list and verify that the packages.linuxmint.com store tries not to have "universe" at the closure. You are able to open that file by running in terminal:
    Code:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Since it does, evacuate the statement "universe" and after that click the save button to save the file and close the file.
    Open terminal and enter:
    Code:
    $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    You ought to now have the capacity to run your updates." If this doesn't work for you then please post a duplicate of your /etc/apt/sources.list file here.

When you selected there was a button that could show up. In the lines of treasure best equipped server or prefer best equipped server. Hit that button and it runs a group of tests to root out which servers greatest for you. When its finished click select server and see what you get.

The same situation with upgrade manager, workaround presented appears on install it. I am additionally seeing a situation with the boot chief; I select a particular unit for default startup, but upon startup, no bones. A different apparatus heads up as default.

By the way, I had to uproot a few parts from the sources list, which were creating 404 problems. Likewise, in the event that its of any investment, I've checked my DVD for deformities, and likewise the list has the right substance when running as a Live DVD. At last, admitting that I'm far from skillful, I'd figure the response to the concern about Just joining a '/' is 'no' as there isn't an file at that address, and the right address is listed in Software Sources.

I have been struggling today for a significant number of hours to introduce Linux Mint 11 – my first Mint installation, displacing Ubuntu 10.04. At final it is in, and I am presenting with it, but it looks enjoy Ubuntu 9.04. I possess the same situation as referenced in this string, and I trust that provided that I am able to settle it, a redesign will carry the OS to what the live CD was like. [That situation being upgrades and product installation carries this blunder line – E: Malformed line 1 in origin post /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list (dist parse)]

I have utilized Ubuntu for Just over a few years and I have utilized the terminal at times, essentially for product installations. I make a point not to know that much about PCs, but I do my particular phpBB gathering and pattern plan online content with XHTML and CSS.

I had the same scenario before emulating the underneath steos:
    • * I navigated to the folder specified in the blunder inform (/var/lib/apt/lists) within Nautilus.
    • * I saw the document "packages.linuxmint.com_dists_katya_import_i18n_Translation-en" in gEdit and observed that it was a HTML list of an entry login page from my university (why??? I don't know.)
    • * I observed there were 54 HTML lists sum in the /var/lib/apt/lists registry. The sum total of them were basically the same university entrance login page.
    • * I duplicated every last trace of the 54 HTML docs into a makeshift envelope in my home file (verify this is finished being as how we should be erasing all the proposed lists and making duplicates of them is reasonable)
    • * I opened a terminal window
    • * sudo rm
    • * Don't hit dividend! Do a reversal to the document program (Nautilus) and select every last trace of the lists you feel the need to erase in the /var/lib/apt/lists file.
    • * Drag the highlighted lists onto the terminal window, which will embed every last trace of the filenames.
    • * Hit drop in to erase every last trace of the showed files.

When following the above steps, both Software Update and Update Manager began. Upon beginning my Software Manager, I recognized that a large number of programming packages were lost (indicating just ~2500 in place of ~33000). From within the project, I run over to Edit > Software Sources, into the "Other Software" tab and prepared "http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu natty-getdeb applications". Following invigorating the list, I got back all my ~33 thousand packages.

Every little item appeared to go well without any errors found. I then clicked on the Update Manager. One package called "mintupdate" was demonstrating. I installed. Revived Update Manager and over 200 packages would have been wise to be installed. Restarted and didn't have any errors appearing.

Using either ifile (direct on Idevice) or iphonebrowser (on PC) to:

1.Edit var/lib/cydia/metadata.plist
    erase from <key> to <dict> of those source that caused error

2. Edit etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list and erase the error line

confirm working 100%