Thread: How can I adjust screen brightness, contrast and gamma in Linux mint 10?

How can I adjust screen brightness, contrast and gamma in Linux mint 10?

I installed Linux Mint 10 few days ago which was the first time. I am very satisfied with it. It is fast, constant, simple yet controlling and ideal for home users. However one thing is disturbing me from my work. The display Brightness, Gamma and Contrast is set to a very high level. On Windows, we are capable to go to display settings and adjust the screen brightness, contrast and gamma, although on Linux, I can't adjust these settings. Please help me decreasing the display brightness, contrast and gamma levels. I want the brightness level to be -60, gamma to be 0.6 and contrast to be 30

Re: How can I adjust screen brightness, contrast and gamma in Linux mint 10?

You be capable to endeavor to regulate the brightness by editing the "/ proc / acpi / video / VGA / LCD / brightness". You will discover a couple of entries in this file

Code:
    levels: 0 40 100
    current: 100
    Another technique of doing this is issuing the command:

Code:
    sudo cp /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness.bak
    sudo echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    Sign indicates that the file is overwritten, so you first have to save as. bak. Instead of 100 for the highest, brightest level, you can specify 60 or 40 or any other value and see if this works for you. Much help if we knew what the display driver to help with other details. Try to publish the results of the command "inxi-G".

Most monitors will be given the option to adjust the brightness, saturation, gamma etc. via buttons at the bottom of the display. You be able to set precisely how you want it.

Try this:

Code:
    /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03/brightness
    When I open the file called brightness mention in the on top of directory, I establish these entries inside

Code:
    Levels:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    current: 1
    Please lend a hand me to set the brightness level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooghavanth View Post
    Try this:

Code:
    /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03/brightness
    When I open the file called brightness mention in the on top of directory, I establish these entries inside

Code:
    Levels:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    current: 1
    Please lend a hand me to set the brightness level.
    Shows that a level of 1 to 9 is possible. Behind today, is that one is currently in use. You can open the file with gedit and change to any number between 2 and 9.

Then unbolt Gedit as root in terminal:

Code:
    gksudo gedit

What kind of laptop do you have?

Every laptop I've had has been a key combination to regulate the brightness of the display. On the one hand, I'm in now is to the keys you have what looks like a sun and one that looks like a sun with a dot in the center. on this laptop are F11 and F12 but to make use of them I have to hold down the Fn key (located on the bottom left of the keyboard between the Ctrl key and the key with the Windows flag) and then push the (F11 ) to acquire brighter or with a period (F12) to get weaker.

To me it is Fn + F7/F8, in a HP Compaq Business Notebook models and former Fn + F9/F10. In Acer laptop Fn + arrow keys left / right.

Type this command:

Code:
    sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=XX
    where XX is the brightness value.
    My current kernel is

Code:
    2.6.34-997-generic #201005111008 SMP Tue May 11 09:10:25 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I brought a laptop screen protector with anti UV rays (Ultra Violet rays. After I bought it, it saved my eyes. This screen protector help me lot.anybody got any doubt please ask here

I recently got a Samsung laptop RV520 and Mint Gnome Edition 11, the FN + Up and Down do not change the brightness, as indicated. What do you see the overlap of the small screen to show the brightness that should change, but has no effect.

I added a small applet to the taskbar, right click and choose "Brightness Applet". Upon clicking, just make use of the up and down to adjust brightness’ prefer real keys to work, but this is a pretty good job at all, for now