Thread: Vista home premium not working

sad Vista home premium not working

Hi all,

I have acer aspire pre-installed with vista home premium. Recently after Windows update or may be after wrong switch off by my child(or both, b'se both have happened before I started having these problems) the laptop has stopped working. It gives the message "the Ordinal 2000 could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll"). I can log in using the user name and password, It also gives me error "LogonUI.ece-Ordinal not found" , "AtBroker.exe Ordinal not found", "Explorer.exe Ordinal not found".
    It also says "Transitional accessible technologies between desktops has stopped working"
    after which all that I see is a mouse cursor and nothing else. Atleast it lets me shutdown from Alt+Ctl+del >shutdown. Can't see task bar, quick launch , time&date neither start menu>programs. I wouldn't even let me send an error report online.

I have done system repair which gives no problems found. Cannot restore to previous point though I see many. It comes up with error message saying "system restore failed due to unspecified error 0x80071A91".

Same problems in Safe mode.

I can access with command prompt in safe mode.

I can access my files from UBUNTU. I see a folder called PRELOAD, which i think is the copy of the OS the manufacturer has put. Am I correct? If so can i make a backup of this and use it to install Vista? If not what is thie Folder PRELOAD doing in the laptop?

I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks in advance

KL

Re: Vista home premium not working

The errors are due to damage registry. The best fix to re-install Windows Vista. But you have data in that. To get backup I will advice you to use Active@ Boot Disk. To make a bootable disc you will need a working system where you can download this software and run a image recovery. There are number of options in this bootable disc. You have to choose Active Disc Image to get your files for backup.

Re: Vista home premium not working

Thanks for the reply Addison.
    I have access to a working PC. Some time ago, I have downloaded Vista recovery disc from somewhere. I do have a copy of registry backup. When I boot using the recovery disc I could go into command prompt and access the registry. If i import and merge the current registry with backup .reg file should it work?
    Ideally I do not want to install the OS from scratch again. I don't have the OS disk. This is not an option for me.

I'm sure the laptop has OS kept somewhere in it. would replacing the corrupt user32.dll with a better one work? Where would it be in the PRELOAD folder? Any advise is much appreciated. Is PRELOAD copy of the OS?