Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

If time machine is enabled, Mac OS X Lion Crashes

Operating Systems

Old 04-11-2011

If time machine is enabled, Mac OS X Lion Crashes

When you enable Time Machine, Finder Lion always crashes. It changes the cursor to this beautiful rainbow of rotation and cannot do anything. Pressing the power button menu appears off; the bread never happens shut down or restarts. Relaunch finder etc useless.

It took me weeks to discover that Time Machine is the culprit. The same configuration has worked flawlessly in Snow Leopard. I went through capsule time and time machine several times and everything looks perfect. I normally can access the time capsule, folders, or backups.

Old 04-11-2011

Re: If time machine is enabled, Mac OS X Lion Crashes

Does this happen only when a backup is running?

Does it occur at a different user account? (If you do not have one, create a system via Settings> Users and Groups). You can also attempt checking your internal HD, and repair backups for Time Machine # A5 - Troubleshooting.
Old 04-11-2011

1. No, also happens when the backup is not running. Sometimes, if I just click on the "Options" in the Time Capsule
  2. I opened a new admin accounts same thing happened. It was even worse - the system stopped responding. Do not touch anything - went straight down into the time capsule
  3. Verification was successful - no error
Old 04-11-2011

It seems that the preference file may be damaged. Attempt a "reset" the time machine for Time Machine # A4 - Troubleshooting.

Right. Time Machine cannot support the Bootcamp partition, so it's not a trouble. (With Windows through Parallels, VMware, etc., can be a trouble, however.)
Old 04-11-2011

I did a full reset and still the same trouble. I realized that is the pursuit of a hard disk backup and this is where it freezes. I had the opportunity to select a unit to "Select Disk" however. Should I attempt to reset my time capsule and erase the whole thing?
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooghavanth View Post
I did a full reset and still the same trouble. I realized that is the pursuit of a hard disk backup and this is where it freezes. I had the opportunity to select a unit to "Select Disk" however. Should I attempt to reset my time capsule and erase the whole thing?
It is in the time machine preferences mask. Right to "Options" button. First is the search for a unit, then it shows percentage and MB transferred. It stuck in the search. In this normal behavior (search) probably would last a second or something.
Old 04-11-2011

Meaning that it is searching the destination of the backup, not a drive backup. That is having trouble connecting to your backup, for a number of causes.

It?s a long shot, but some of the names involved may be the problem. See # P1 in use Time Machine with Time Capsule. If that does not help, you may want to try resetting the Time Capsule. See Resetting the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,