Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unable to resolve font conflict in Mac OS X Lion

Operating Systems

Old 01-11-2011

Unable to resolve font conflict in Mac OS X Lion

I noticed that my iMac OS X Lion (10.7.2) was running a little on the slow side, the applications were beach balls a lot. I remembered reading somewhere that the font management problems can slow OS X applications in the worst way.

Well, I went to Font Book and realized that there are a lot of fonts installed in my user group and that there were many duplicate fonts. I set the preference to move duplicates to the Recycle Bin, and then I went to "search for duplicates enabled. He did a thing, he moved some duplicate to the trash. I rebooted, cleared a lot of copies, but still I have three sources in my collection that are duplicated user - Arial Narrow, Georgia, Trebuchet

How I can remove duplicates from my collection of user? I've tried everything in Font Book and the above steps and still remain, though with disabilities. How do all these sources to my collection of user?

Old 01-11-2011

Re: Unable to resolve font conflict in Mac OS X Lion

It does not explain the details of using Font Book - especially to solve the crisis of resolving the duplicates or trying to move the sources for the collection of equipment.
Old 01-11-2011

The proverbial lack information. In that case, all I can suggest is to look for the success of a search on Google to disable the fonts in the Source Book.
Old 01-11-2011

Not explained in the article as Font Book has its own help files to learn how to use this function.

You cannot do that from the Font Book. The "Team" is any collection of fonts in the system font folders and library as a combined list. The only way to change it manually to move, add or remove sources of real folders.
Old 01-11-2011

I just can't remove the fonts that are duplicated from my User collection. It says that it removed them; they show up in the trash but still show up in Font Book as a duplicate. Here is what the console spits out
Old 01-11-2011

As I mentioned in my article, yes, it will. Font Book does not do well when things move from the places they think are sources. Do the following:
Turn off Font Book.
  1. Move or remove any source not want in the system. Be very careful in the system folder.
  2. Restart your Mac in Safe Mode, and then restart normally. This will delete the database so that Font Book can be rebuilt the next time you launch Font Book. Font display correctly then the sources are currently in the various "sources" folder on the unit.
Old 01-11-2011

As you can see on the screen that I have in my collection of Georgia and disabled users, as it is a duplicate of the collection Computer (which is currently active). I can do right click it and select "Delete"? Is to remove only the font family from the collection of user (/ Library / Fonts) or completely eliminate the family of my system? All I want to do is getting rid of this duplicate.

I'm still lost as to how / who (which program) installed all these sources here. The Corporate is a company of my wife, so did those at one point. I will use the above technique to move these sources in the space of the system and get it out of my local directory.
Old 01-11-2011

The Georgia font in my ~ / Library / Fonts is a font suitcase, in the Source / Library / is a. ttf
Old 01-11-2011

You had mentioned that you're not sure how all of those fonts got into your user account. Except for the rare third party application that may have put one, or a few there, none of them need to be active. So you can either remove the fonts from that folder, or just disable all of them through Font Book. It's always best to have as few fonts active as possible. Activate them when they are needed instead of having them eat up RAM all the time.
Old 01-11-2011

Sound advice. I am suspecting that if I disable the ones that I am not using, my apps could launch even faster since they don't have to map in the active fonts in to user memory. accurate?
Old 03-11-2011

Right. Each application (they are used) may spend much less time to complete the list of sources for their menus when you only have to handle 100 at the start instead of 600. It also takes much less time than to font menus to display, and much less time for you to scroll through them.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,