Thread: Don’t know why disc space disappearing in Mac OS X Lion disc

Don’t know why disc space disappearing in Mac OS X Lion disc

Since improvement to Lion, disc space has started disappearance. I have not made any main downloads and do not have much to commence with. previously store my iPhotos & iTunes on an external (well, the dimension of them - I've not establish a means of consolidating two libraries yet, would be paying attention if anybody knows how I be able to do that, short of manual pain).

Twice now, I've ditched folders that enclose 10GB (for a total of >20GB), nevertheless in a while thereafter, and devoid of replacement files being added, the warning comes up again. It's now blocking my computer from operating normally.

Re: Don’t know why disc space disappearing in Mac OS X Lion disc

If you are backing up with Time Machine, note that the >20 GB worth of files that you remove does not really acquire uninvolved until the next week. See absent disk space in Lion.

I am backing up with Time Machine & I was extremely paying attention by the piece of writing, thank you. Nevertheless this doesn't give details where the space has gone in the initial place? I deleted the last 10GB well over a week ago. I've now removed an additional 10GB to the original 20GB, nevertheless in this case, the activities was as describe in your piece of writing: only insignificant space untied.

On the other hand, although I'm on the road, I have a portable 1TB backup - so why is it wasting space on my hard disc?

You speak you're only using 50% of the storage capability. Does that mean that you had semi the drive empty before installing Lion? How large is the drive? Except it is tremendously small, installing Lion by itself wouldn't have that effect. Attempt a tool like Omni Disk Sweeper or Grand Perspective to observe where your space has disappeared, nevertheless don't delete anything except you be acquainted with what it is. You may have a escapee log file, in which case you should unlock that log file and observe what app is filling it up with mail.

As to why you acquire the local backup still when you're backing up from side to side an external drive. That’s just the way Time Machine works now. And it has in fact saved me lately.

I emptied the trash by means of command-delete, In view I was in the Finder, and as an alternative deleted a couple months of e-mail that I hadn't filed. (I by no means empty Mail's trash, and immediately file away the contents in an archive mailbox occasionally.) I hadn't backed up for practically a week, yet thanks to the local backup shared with my Time Machine backup; I was capable to restore each note that got mislaid.

Yes, only 50% capacity preceding to installing Lion, nevertheless that was months ago (indeed, it was less than that, I be able to only account for approximately 50% of the space used).I know what you're saying about Time Machine, nevertheless I /just/ did a backup - it seems protected to say that once transferred to the appropriate Time Machine storage component, that that info demand no longer be doubled up on the hard disc.

Anyhow, I've booked a mastermind meeting with the local apple store & will report back on what they discover. I'm annoying to be hopeful

This might not resolve your matter; nevertheless have you run the disk repair utility to observe if it demonstrates the partitions to be the suitable sizes and containing the accurate amounts of data?

No. In fact, relying only on a single Time Machine backup isn't predominantly safe in spite of. If your data has genuine value, and it would be a solemn trouble if you lost it, you should have a smallest amount of two backups on entirely part media and on dissimilar media from the originals. I have three divide hard drives, one with a Time Machine backup and two with Carbon Copy Cloner backups and one of the latter two is forever in the safe deposit box at the bank.

Same thing for me, and no, this isn't a laptop (it's a quad core Mac pro). Something in Lion is eating my disk space - had a full disk on a couple of occasions now. Really regret updating to lion.

My issue was a replicating out-going message in Mail that was large to begin with (50MB). I had tried to send the message & then deleted it & used DB instead, but it had been replicating itself (I guess in an attempt to send?).

The genius is the one who found the file: we deleted the associated mail account, reinstalled it (& I think maybe even manually deleted many of the folders). Everything has been fine since.

He used a program which I can no longer locate on my Mac (he had left it, but who knows: life is busy & I haven't a clue where it went) to determine the space allocation: it was very handy & I'm sure not hard to find.

Personally, I have zero regrets on the upgrade: Lion is incomparably faster in terms of my work flow than the previous OS or Windows. Working on either of the latter now feels painfully inefficient. But to each their own.