Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Favorite Finder unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Operating Systems

Old 23-10-2011

Favorite Finder unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Just upgraded to Lion after updating my iPhone to iOS 5 and deciding that I want to utilize the icloud features.

My latest trouble is that aliases to files that I had placed in folders in my Finder Favorites no longer work. I acquire the subsequent memo when, while attempting to open the file from an Application, I find the way to the alias of any file listed in one of my folder. None of the probable error described in the above message apply. Any ideas how to recover this capability?

Old 23-10-2011

Re: Favorite Finder unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Have you tried deleting and remaking the aliases with your new setup of Lion?

Cmd+click and drag your sidebar folders out and then remake the aliases and put them in the sidebar. You might want to relaunch finder by holding option down and secondary click the finder icon and select relaunch.
Old 23-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozefa View Post
Have you tried deleting and remaking the aliases with your new setup of Lion?

Cmd+click and drag your sidebar folders out and then remake the aliases and put them in the sidebar. You might want to relaunch finder by holding option down and secondary click the finder icon and select relaunch.
I had already tried deleting and remaking one alias - this had not solved the trouble. I tried your other 2 suggestions without any success. Still looking for an answer.
Old 23-10-2011

The essential trouble is that Aliases don't appear to be working at all for files when using the Open command from an Application (like Excel). After making an alias of a file in a folder that is NOT read only and just leaving it there in the same folder, attempting to open it using the Open command results in the same message as shown above. On the other hand, if the alias is double clicked to open it (i.e., not through the Open command), it works fine.

Also, I can open files (using the Open command) that are in folders where I have put an alias of the folder into Favorites.
Old 23-10-2011

As I attempt more variations, it appears that the trouble is limited to Excel. Aliases of Word, PowerPoint and pdf files can be opened via the Open command without a trouble.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , ,