Thread: Need help in installing new printer driver in Mac OS X Lion

Need help in installing new printer driver in Mac OS X Lion

I've been looking for a new printer driver for my old HP G85 all in one. The old driver does not work with the lion. I found a explanation, but need help in going through the motions of the installation. I downloaded the utilities recommended; nevertheless I'm not savvy sufficient to know what to do. Here is the release of Source Forge.

I've just uploaded a new SerialPrintEnabler package contains a set of Mac OS X Lion. It can be downloaded directly from here. There have been reasonably a small number of requirements for that - more than I keep in mind past OS X releases. You also require checking the drivers you are using the Keyspan adapter. You must make use of the "beta driver for the UPR-112G, USA 49WG, USA and USA-19HS 28XG (Mac OS X 10.7.x)" TrippLite drivers from the site. even though the U.S. -28X is not listed as supported, which works well. These are the only 64-bit drivers available for the adapter. When you add the printer, you have to do it from side to side the CUPS web interface CUPS do not in reality series printers. Perceive the serial ports. Decide KeySerial1. This is in reality an alias to a port on the adapter. The serial port settings are: baud = 57600, Parity = none, bits = 8 = flow control RTS / CTS. The rest is pretty simple.

Re: Need help in installing new printer driver in Mac OS X Lion

I am a big fan of older printers keep working after the manufacturer has dropped support for them. However, in this case, I recommend you buy a new printer that is still compatible with Mac OS X Lion.

There are a number of obstacles in trying to acquire a HP Office Jet work in Lion. The first is that only the printing function will work. I distrust that the scanner function is accessible. You be able to verify this by trying the print scanner and scanning preferences.

A second difficulty with this that is one of the devices listed in an article that indicates the USB Port May Not Be That standard and you necessitate would not make use of a parallel to USB adapter.

None of the software that you refer in your innovative post is pertinent to the working of the HP G85.All Things measured, you would be enhanced off with a new-fangled printer WHERE Will the software download and install automatically.

It's time to give up work. It's close to 15 years old so you have more than gotten your money's worth from it. HP and others make many skilled devices that will be less luxurious to print, have more functionality and better print quality.

You can always take your G85 to a recycler so it's disposed of properly. You don't mention where you're located nevertheless if you are in the US any Best Buy or office supply (Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples) has recycling programs for you. If you are outside the US Google your region and I'm convinced you will locate something that satisfies your requirements.

I don't think the age of the printer as the only criterion. It boils down to how well all the features can be supported. My 14 year old HP DeskJet 870 is still a workhorse linked to a serial port in Lion. Others are still making good use of their Style Writers (through Snow Leopard) and even ImageWriter’s (even in Lion). For fun, you should take a look at the going prices for their old ImageWriter’s that are in good condition.

Many of the first generation USB printers seemed to have troubles with their USB ports not being rather up to specs. That seems to be the case with the HP G85. unite that with lack of support for the scanner and it just isn’t worth it.

According to HP the Office Jet G85 is only about 11 years old. It has a USB port. If that is correct, the hardware connection between your computer and the printer should be a simple matter of connecting it to your Mac with a USB cable. Then, OS X's Print & Scan should recognize the printer and create a queue for it more or less automatically.

If that is not happening, my hopes for getting it to work would diminish significantly. HP's driver support for that printer appears to have ended with Tiger, which infers it was written for a Power PC CPU which Lion most certainly no longer supports.

The g85's USB protocol may have been poorly implemented. However, I think your g85 also has a parallel port, correct? I have made other printers work with a USB to parallel cable, and with parallel wireless print servers. If you're willing to spend some money on one of those, I can suggest a couple to look for, but there is no guarantee they will work with your printer.

Finally, while it is possible you may eventually acquire it to print with Lion, I am about as certain as I can be that the AIO functions (scan, fax) will not work.

Of course age isn't the only criteria; there is a fine line between age, technical issues and other factors. In printers of your DJ870 vintage and the OJ G series while they were great devices in their day they don't hold a candle in print quality, features or how much ink they drink compared to more modern machines. It's kind like an old car, yup my dad's 72 Oldsmobile Tornado was great in its day but comparing it to a 2012 car, about all they have in common any more is 4 wheels.