Thread: Getting ready to move to Mac OS X Lion

Getting ready to move to Mac OS X Lion

I just bought an iPhone 4s found that I need to go to Lion in order to maximize the functions. However, after reading the comments of the evaluation and community message that I am very nervous about slowing my computer, losing in the email environment, losing access to files, etc. My Mac desktop Microsoft is 3 years old and just upgrade to Snow Leopard, which appears to have slowed things down. I can use Microsoft Office Entourage, PowerPoint, Word and Excel. Mailbox and I also use Carbonite. I'm a mobile user with me. My kids have some games loaded on this machine too, like The Sims 3. I have also a partition with the merger, nevertheless did not actually utilize it anymore. Even though there are some files there. I'm just a computer user; do not be acquainted with much about computers themselves. Would in reality be grateful for some recommendation as to how you can prepare to move, or what should be reviewed to determine whether an action is right for me. There is something specific that should be in the process of change.

Re: Getting ready to move to Mac OS X Lion

The first query is, what version of Office are you using? If it is 2008, which is very well, although if they move to Lion I would suggest changing either the inhabitant mail app for Mac (that from Snow Leopard supports Exchange mail) or Office Outlook 2011. Both are far better to Entourage. Drop Box and Carbonite work with Lion. If you are a user of Mobile Me .Mobile Me with any luck know icloud is being replace, nevertheless some characteristic like iDisk will not be going away icloud and from June 2012. The games are usually not a problem, but if you're worried about them should go to the website of the vendor and authenticate compatibility. VMware Fusion 3.1.3 and 4.0 versions are well-matched with Lion, but the recommended 4.0.

In general, the best preparation for the improvement of any operating system is to have good backups and be prepared to use them if something goes wrong. Since you're using Carbonite is obvious that they are being backed up at least some of their data.

The vast majority of people moving to Lion have few or no troubles. You will see a lot of troubles reported here, nevertheless even if 10,000 people are reporting troubles with Apple Support Communities, which represents less than 1% of the million downloads of Lion have been made since July. You will receive recommendations to clone your primary disk so you can return to cloning, if you have a trouble with the lion. That's absolutely quicker if you have a trouble restoring a Time Machine backup or Carbonite, but not a requirement.

Many features of Lion have been designed to integrate with devices like the ipad and iPhone that are running IOS 5. There are many new-fangled gestures to find the way between windows and managing multiple desktops However, only can take advantage of the gestures on a desktop Mac if you have a Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse. If you like the idea of iOS gestures and styles your iPhone to sync seamlessly with the iMac then Lion has much to offer.
    Since Lion is only obtainable as an online download of the Mac App Store (except you are willing to pay more than double from a USB memory), it is significant to have a fast and dependable connection to the Internet. In general, the Lion built this to take up the case. Lastly, you must have a minimum of 4 GB of memory in the iMac. If you have fewer you may be dissatisfied by the performance of Lion.

Wow! Thanks for the really useful information. You just made my decision easier. I love Apple products and have been a user since 1988.

I was excited about the opportunity to more virtuous synchronization between all my devices. I bought the phone in an Apple store and was made aware of the need to switch to icloud, which is fine because it was never so happy with the timing that occurred between my three devices with Mobile Me.

I have installed MS Office 08, but I prefer to use Mac Mail, I was not so happy with the version of Leopard, but it looks like I'll be satisfied with the version of the Lion. I will definitely take your advice and clone the disk.

First I have only 2 g of memory, what should I do? I think it's possible to add more memory, is that correct?

Secondly, I remember reading several posts about printers. I use a HP Photosmart C7270 all in one. It seems I have to check the website for compatibility and check for updates. What to do before or after installing Lion.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Also saw some posts about problems with the wireless home network. I have a game and my internet is through our local cable company - high-speed modem cable. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Hipolit View Post
    First I have only 2 g of memory, what should I do? I think it's possible to add more memory, is that correct?

Secondly, I remember reading several posts about printers. I use a HP Photosmart C7270 all in one. It seems I have to check the website for compatibility and check for updates. What to do before or after installing Lion.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Also saw some posts about problems with the wireless home network. I have a game and my internet is through our local cable company - high-speed modem cable. Any comments?
    Lion will run on a system with 2 GB of RAM, if your computer can be expanded beyond 2GB this will improve the experience of Lion. Look in your owner's manual or technical specifications to see what can be extended a. If you are not available, click the support link at the top right of this page and navigate to the right place.

I just checked and the Photosmart 7200 printing support, if AIO is the only site indicates that it supports printing. You should appraisal before upgrading. If you go forward with the Lion and then run Software Update immediately after the update and download the necessary updates for your system.

I have also seen that some people have problems with Wi-Fi but I've seen similar reports with Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard as well, so do not worry too much about them. I am writing this in the local coffee shop that has Wi-Fi and has had no troubles with Wi-Fi on this computer or my iMac or has been in at least 2 separate Wi-Fi.

A quick search on Wikipedia shows that a 2008 iMac will support 4 GB of memory. We would highly recommend that you upgrade if probable. Memory is extremely contemptible, and easy enough to install on an iMac. Your owner's manual will tell you how.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAHAR View Post
    A quick search on Wikipedia shows that a 2008 iMac will support 4 GB of memory. We would highly recommend that you upgrade if probable. Memory is extremely contemptible, and easy enough to install on an iMac. Your owner's manual will tell you how.
    In fact, support 6GB, here is my final specifications of 2007 iMac RAM. The OP can use a variety of sources, two sources of trust are OWC and Mac store website is Crucial

Quote Originally Posted by Sitia View Post
    In fact, support 6GB, here is my final specifications of 2007 iMac RAM. The OP can use a variety of sources, two sources of trust are OWC and Mac store website is Crucial
    Right, I forget that. Someone should update the Wikipedia page. Thanks again for putting together with some great information.