Thread: Unable to share internet connection with iphone or ipad in Mac OS X Lion

Unable to share internet connection with iphone or ipad in Mac OS X Lion

Internet Connection Sharing is not working in Mac OS X Lion. Can anyone help me to overcome this issue?

Re: Unable to share internet connection with iphone or ipad in Mac OS X Lion

I do not use, I think it should be through the System Preferences> Sharing> Internet. However, the pc must be via Ethernet or other devices so you can share via wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniela View Post
    I do not use, I think it should be through the System Preferences> Sharing> Internet. However, the pc must be via Ethernet or other devices so you can share via wifi.
    The configuration is precisely the same - as you indicated. The Internet has not distorted much, nevertheless I had to update drivers for my internet connection. The iPhone seems to have a wifi connection (icon present), nevertheless when trying to access the Internet, says there is no Internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Ooghavanth View Post
    The configuration is precisely the same - as you indicated. The Internet has not distorted much, nevertheless I had to update drivers for my internet connection. The iPhone seems to have a wifi connection (icon present), nevertheless when trying to access the Internet, says there is no Internet connection?
    On the ipad, when you select the network, a small blue button with an arrow on it, if you tap on it, it will display the IP address. What does that show? Maybe you could try to restore the ipad. Off and on again to see if that helps. To turn off, press and hold the start button and switch on / off at the top, at the same time till power off bar appears.

The IP address is 169.2x4.12x.2xx with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 (DHCP)

Well, that's the difficulty. IP address, etc. is self assigned 169.254 and will not work. Try the soft reset on him / her off, then check the IP address, if you start with 192 or 10, they are okay. If it says 169, which is a trouble.

If I understand in the approved manner, you are trying to set up ad hoc wireless connection between the iPhone and Mac, and share the Ethernet connection on your Mac for Internet access. When "upgraded" to Lion, it is probable that a) the configuration of wireless adhoc has been misplaced, or b) the assignment of connection is lost, or both c).

Make sure you have a wireless ad hoc (computer to computer) network established in the MAC. Make sure the iPhone sees the network and connects to it.

If the iPhone continues to acquire an IP address 169,254, you might necessitate to set in a static IP address on both the Mac and iPhone. Attempt 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 on the Mac on the iPhone, the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. On the iPhone, you have to specify that the router 10.1.1.1. For the DNS server, use the same as the Mac uses. All this is only essential if for a number of reason DHCP is not functioning. Finally, make sure Internet Sharing is enabled on the Mac between Ethernet and AirPort.

Still no joy after much fiddle. Now I purchase a router and connect ZAR500 wirelessly through it. It workings huge.

Same subject Ethernet => Share wifi internet. It seems that wireless security is what makes the difference. I tried all the suggestions of using static IP, name change networks, channels, essentially all of the comments are in discussions on Apple. The connectivity that really changed was the scene of 128-bit WEP. Then, the IP address of all data is properly served by DHCP. A wide 10.0.2.x and was established- there are now Internet connection. However, it is too slow. Painful, indeed. I also had this working in previous versions of OS X and used it a lot.

Anyone figure out why this is being done with the iPhone yet? I had shared internet to my iphone work well for a few days after the installation of a lion. No values have changed and nothing new has been installed on any device. However, now the iPhone is connected (or at least pretends to). However, do not allow any web browsing what so ever.

At the moment that says "YOU CAN NOT OPEN THE PAGE - Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to Internet.". It is out of range display an IP address: 169.2xx.2x6.101:255.255.0.0 well. That, if I manually set it to something within the appropriate range produces no change in performance (without internet). I have also changed the coding of several different configurations to no avail. When I was functioning for few days is slow as molasses nevertheless it did not work.

DHCP was not working in my computer. I could see 10.0.2.1 on wireless interface. This worked very well in snow leopard, but not in Mac OS X Lion. Planning to install Snow leopard again.

I had exactly the same annoying problem so I googled like 5 days, found this and worked perfectly:
    I finally found the solution which was very simple. The solution in this case was to:

Turn off Airport
    Switch off the built-in firewall (found in: System Preferences>Security>Firewall), I set it to allow all incoming connections.
    Turn Airport back on again….and it worked
    I tested this solution to work, and it worked after a restart as well. I have no clue to what caused the problem, however, I hope that this information will be of value to others as well.

Hope it still helps