Thread: Windows XP boot drive "H" instead of "C"

Windows XP boot drive "H" instead of "C"

I don’t know why this happen but when I try to boot my windows XP system, then it boot drive H and not drive C. I have not knowledge about anything about this booting and I am completely new to this booting process. This system only contains windows XP and only three C, D and E drive present on it. Then why should this happen. I need help to fix this issue. Thanks for anything.

Re: Windows XP boot drive "H" instead of "C"

I think at the time of booting this system you did not select the correct boot drive and hence this type of booting problem arrives on it. after performing partition on it, the windows XP installation process has to be ask about the drive which is used for booting. In that time, we need to select the Drive C for booting purpose. Hence this problem arrives on your system.

You need to change the name of this drive on your system. Sometimes it happen that because wrong booting installation user faced such type of drive not booting problem. We need to change this drive name in such case. Then use this process and see the result onto it.

Can you please help me that how I can do this drive name changing task on this windows XP system. Because of the windows XP system I need some special task on it. this will be helpful for me.

You need to use an bootable disk of the system. Then use the existing command on your system. The existing command of the bootable disk helps to you for doing this process. I think the rename <drive name> command present on it. Then I suggest to you first enter into the command prompt by using and F8 option on your system. After entering into command prompt mode, you need to enter this rename command. This will be help to you for changes the drive H name to drive C. Try this and locate the result onto it.

The other reason why this happens is particularly when you're building a modern machine with an internal card reader. In that time we need to apply correct booting instruction on it. for fixing this issue you need to use compmgmt.msc or acronis disk director would allow you to just change the drive letters. This will be help to change name of drive and it fix your problem.

I just say that try to disable the USB drive option on your bios of the system. This will be work to avoid additional connected H drive and then your drive not able to detect this H drive. Hence indirectly it detects the drive C. then try this and check problem is solved or not.

I try this solution but it not work. Now finally I decided to perform an drive formatting task on it. This time, I use help of some articles for this windows XP installation process. This process helps me to reinstall the system correctly. I found this article on the official site of the Microsoft.