Thread: Password for OS X Lion root is not working

Password for OS X Lion root is not working

It seems to me that I am not able to use password for my Lion root. It already stopped working. No matter how lots of times I modify it inside my Admin account, it doesn't. I allowed the root account for the foremost moment now and I might log in just very well. Afterward I disabled the root user. I want to get access of the root over again therefore I re-enabled it and tried. It wouldn't allow me in. Even after changing the password mo luck. It does not provide me whichever error message whilst changing the password except no matter how easy a password I utilize, currently it won't allow me log within as root.

Re: Password for OS X Lion root is not working

If you purchased a second hand Mac recently and has touched a clueless seller is more likely that you have set the root password and therefore will not let you start installing a new copy of Mac OS X. Once you reach this point we can choose to use the Mac OS X DVD to change the root password, but you can also use a trick to access that computer with a new password without requiring the installation DVD.

You'll accounts system preferences there is an option within called logon options and even comes down a server option that says network accounts, you give in and sends you to access the directory use the user can activate there root

May be that your user has been deleted. So boot from DVD (or I think the recovery if you have not somehow Lion as a bootable volume) and reset the passwords. Then assign a password for root. Then reboot and root and enter the new password. Then he starts first. Then you can simply replace your user WITH THE SAME NAME AND PASSWORD reinvested. Then reboot and everything is back.

There is vulnerability within Mac OS X Lion permitting local users to the password of additional users all the way through an easy terminal command to regulate. This permits attackers with physical access toward the files of additional users access. Inside Mac OS X passwords are usually encrypted and next into "shadow files" stored at a safe spot on the disk are kept. Depending on the system right, the contents of these files only available to the user or an administrator who must first authenticate.

The researcher who found the trouble currently has a script prepared for cracking the hashes easier. The biggest trouble is that the Directory Services authentication Lion no longer necessary like a logged into user wishes to modify his password. An attacker utilizing the command "$ dscl localhost-passwd / Search / Users / bob" a fresh password meant for your account, enter bob and so get access to his information.

If you have not changed your root password, then it is empty. Instead of returning a password when "su" asks you, just press the Enter key. That should do it. This obviously implies that you have activated the root account using NetInfo. In any case, you should not use the root account. If you need root permissions for action instead uses "sudo" instead of "su". "Sudo only asks for the password of an administrator account on the machine. Your usual password is therefore the case.
    • su is used to change user and opens another shell as that user's account, the command prompts for the password for this user then, by default, if nothing is specified, this user is root.
    • sudo executes a command with the accreditation of a system administrator, so it is a command to delegate functions to a normal user systems, it requires the password of the user current.

As security expert was able to find, can also non-root user on the directory service - read the password hashes of the shadow files - directory services. Dunstan has released a Python script with the users to crack the hashes should be facilitated. According to the data of Dunstan users can by a simple command to change the password of another user. According to the experts for this Lion requires no authentication, the attacker can simply enter a new password. However, this trick does not seem to always work.

For those Mac fans, surely many of them sound pretty ROOT user, or superuser as he prefers to call, and probably more than once have had to deal with him to carry just as you work.