Thread: User Permissions/Group not identified in OS X Lion

User Permissions/Group not identified in OS X Lion

I don’t think that Apple Lion is perfect. I have been noticing strange things in this. It seems there is a Group that the system can't recognize. The Sharing & Permissions segment shows 'Fetching…' except never really resolves this into a Group name. This is simply happening on top of one of the 2 Macs I upgraded and whilst it doesn't appear to be causing whichever issues within the context of everyday exploit, I'd like to find to the underneath of it if achievable.

Re: User Permissions/Group not identified in OS X Lion

Apparently the problem was much greater, and its resolution has been rather rare. Not wanting to restore back the crap I used my previous Lion innocently Time Machine files and pasting I ApplicationSupport, Libary, Prefrences, etc ... I did open the Time Machine folder itself and not from the interface, resulting that my Mac does not recognize those files, and not only that they were in some way blocked by a strange inheritance. The crushing solved had copied files from Time Machine, which provides OS permissions to the folders and let free, without formatting.

In the usual repair permissions access rights obviously not included, so the Apple programs that access it when you back, do not let it get this right.

Take the permissions as the "rules", that file is basically a disc with a user "unknown" to OS X Lion, so that when a user "unknown" will access that file will only read and modify, if not logically have the administrator password, since those are the rules for strangers. In fact, if you duplicate the file, you'll see that "unknown" becomes "wheel" and you can change its attributes, but it is entirely legitimate.

If problems occur with your Mac is often the first step in repairing the permissions. The system folders and files are fitted with read / write permissions. When these rights are not more correct than it is possible that native applications such as Finder and the Dock System Preferences crash. It is also possible that some options do not work or that your Mac does not even boot. Repairing the permissions using the Disk Utility only refer to the System Folder of Mac OS X. Obviously there is a similar problem occur in the users home directory. This may cause the application settings are not stored, installed applications crash or certain folders cannot be accessed.

I do not see the problem. This is the normal system permissions. When you drag a file or folder in the drop box, should be set before all access permissions to determine precisely what is allowed and what is forbidden to the recipient and third parties.

The problem is that with identical permissions initially the result is different depending on whether it is deposited a file or a folder with.

By default, files and folders are usually created with read permission for everyone (owner, group owner and the others), and write only to its owner. This means that anyone can read the contents of the files and see the files contained in the records, but only the owner has the right to change them.
    If this setting is not appropriate, it must be changed voluntarily:
    • Select the file or folder in Finder
    • Cmd + I to do, and go down the window in "Details"
    • To "Apply to enclosed items ..." to apply permissions to files and subfolders in the folder.