Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Greetings,

I am having an issue getting Outlook 2010 to work with roaming profiles on XP SP3. I am currently using a virtualized Netware 6.5 server, but will be moving to Server 2008 in another semester. The problem is that a power user can initially login to the local machine (and the Novell server) and start Outlook 2010 for the first time with no problem. The user sets up Outlook and is able to use it fine, but after logging out and logging back in Outlook will not start. There is an error message saying "Microsoft Outlook cannot start". If the user is a member of the admin group then Outlook will start with no problems, but I don't wish to give all of the students admin rights...

We are moving from Office 2007 to Office 2010 this semester and didn't have this problem before. I've been banging my head against the wall for the past week with no success. Anyone have any ideas?

Glenn Wilson
    Austin Community College

blush Re: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Well you cannot make admin rights for users if thats what you mean. Sorry I couldn't be much help!

smile Re: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Can I ask. Is it Novell Groupwise you mean when you said Novell Server? If it is then how do you set user accounts for online webaccess?

This will help so much if you tell me!

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Thanks for the reply. It is not Groupwise, just Novell 6.5. There is a workaround that I discovered this morning, but the question remains as to why we had no trouble with Outlook 2007 and this same setup. I have been Googling for answers, but am now taking my dilemma to various forums. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn Wilson
    Austin Community College

I think that if you would like to roam the outlook express database you have to move it to a other location in the profile. Another option would be creating a copy script and let it run when user logs off. Can you also try to remove the cached mode if you are using roaming profiles. It creates an ost file that doesn't transfer.

What was your workaround?
    I am having the same problem, using cached mode but withj OST and PST stored in the users home directory on the server

Quote Originally Posted by ivangill View Post
    What was your workaround?
    I am having the same problem, using cached mode but withj OST and PST stored in the users home directory on the server
    I think that you cannot automatically synchronize personal folders (.pst) files between two different computers in Microsoft Outlook. This article describes how you can work around this to have this capability. The following work arounds are the available to synchronize a .pst file between two different computers:
    • Use an offline folder (.ost) file.
    • Copy the .pst file.
    • Copy only the Calendar, Contacts, and Task folders.

For more information visit this site.

Thanks for the Reply Einstein, I may have misdirected you in my question.
    I have configured registry settings to ensure PST and OST files are created on the Network share (users home directory). However I am only creating OST files currently.

When logging on from a machine differnet to the one I created the Outlook profile on, "Outlook cannot start"

It appears Roaming profiles and net3work share alone is not sufficient to configure everything necessary to access the Outlook profile.

The issue related to the error occurs when file that maintains the Navigation Pane settings becomes corrupted. This file is called profilename.xml, where profilename is the name of your Outlook profile. This file is stored in the following folder:

Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows Vista, Windows 7
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

To resolve this problem, automatically, go to the "Fix it for me" section here.

Don't know if you have gotten any further yet. But I had the same error and the situation you described was similar to ours.

I found out that in the registry at the current user hive, deleting the Windows NT\Current Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\.... creates a new profile again as if it was the first time. So when you log off and log in again, maken sure that prior to every time outlook starts, the profiles in the registry are cleaned, and the user has enough rights to make new keys..

Thanks for the Help Guys, and yes I have a working solution.

The problem is not Navigation Pane corruption, Outlook loads on the PC the profile is created on, but not on any PC's the user roams too. Corruption would cause the issue on all PC's

Bobby, you post was invaluable, the issue is as you say the key

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\.

The issue is that when roaming, with local standard user, the user does not have suitable permissions to access this key. Assigning permission after login was a step beyond my limited programming abailities. You need to use elevated priviledges of another user in which case it is not HKCU but HKU/'USERID' you need to edit which means determining the ID of the current user.

Using vanilla Zenworks I employed the follwoing out of the box solution.

I have an Outlook Applicatioin object that runs Outlook.
    It has a Post launch script that saves the registry key
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\.
    and a pre launch script that loads the saved registry key.

This appliation object has a dependent application which when called has a distribution that deleteds the registry key ;

Distributions are run as SYSTEM user so have the rights to do the dleietion Bobby suggeted.

All settings are now maintained when romaing, I have only one outstanding issue;

When logging on to a new PC for the first time the user is ased for their email passowrd. This passowrd is stored in the Microsoft Credential store which consists for certificates stored in one of two locations, in the user profile, one in
    \Application Data\Microsoft\credentials\ (Roaming)
    and one in
    Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\credentials\ Non Roaming

Simply copying the cerificates from Local Settings from one PC to another does not work, which makes sense, what security is worth its salt if all you have to do is copy a file which stores the passowrd. In AD their are options for moving the credentail store to the server to solve this issue, what are my options on Netware??

Any suggestions appreciated

I was also facing similar kind of problem and I was able to solve this by renaming 1 folder. First Close Outlook and navigate to

"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect"

There should be 1 folder in there, rename it, but make sure you can change it back if necessary. Open Outlook, it will create an identicle folder to the one you just renamed, it will ask for your password as usual, enter your password. Close Outlook, then reopen it again, no password will be asked next time.

Mmm... I recently discovered that my solution creates a profile (PST) everytime a new session has started.

If I don't apply the registry setting before starting, Outlook doesn't start at all.

Anybody a solution to that...

Thanx..

invangill how does your post en pre launch script look like???? Maybe thats the solution for my problem....

Maybe this could help everyone out a bit:
    Configuring Outlook for Roaming Users

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402691033.aspx

Normally, the one folder that does not roam with users in the default roaming scenario is the Local Settings folder in the %UserProfile% folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast