Thread: Getting “C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction” error message

Getting “C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction” error message

Hello every time when start the pc I am getting a error message. The message is ” C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. Close'to terminate the application." I want some help to fix this issue. I am having a Windows XP pc. I had got this error message for the first time and not really sure what to do. I am unable to do any work on my system.

Re: Getting “C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction” error message

It can be some kind of virus infection in your system. You have to check that properly. Boot your pc in safe mode first and scan with a good antivirus. You can download a trial edition of various free antivirus and test with them one by one. Even in the trail you get complete features to clean your system. I think going for norton will be good enough. Or you can also use Avira.

Re: Getting “C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction” error message

This error is not related to any virus. It is associated to old programs installed in your system. I got the same issue when I was trying to use a old accounting software on my system. But it did not worked well. I had removed that tool and the error was gone. So just check in your system if there is any old program running. Just uninstall that. The error will stop.

There are different reasons for this problem. I am going to give you one which will really help you to get rid of this problem. All you need is to check the below link. The problem is associated with 16bit programs. This is the most common one. Check the below link and go under resolution section. There you can find a working solution which will help you to fix the issue you are facing.

NTVDM CPU Has Encountered an Illegal Instruction