Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Linux and Scsi problems

Operating Systems

Old 03-10-2011

sad Linux and Scsi problems

I'm in the process of learning Ubuntu Linux and have a series of questions/problems that I need some help/advice with.

My desktop has Linux and is incredibly slow. (It's an "old" P4 with 1 GB ram and 160 GB hdd.) The problem is this: the OS seems to "think" that the computer is using SCSI even though it's not. It thinks that the HDD *AND* the CD are both SCSI devices and I know for a fact that they are not. Another problem could be that I thought I'd follow the advice of some internet person and formatted the HDD with 2.5 GB swap, 5 GB EXT4 and the rest in BTRFS. I thought that this would make things faster but I have the feeling that I was mistaken.

Will I have to "erase" the HDD and reinstall or what???

Last edited by David Bird : 03-10-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Sorted out the first problem
Old 03-10-2011

re: Linux and Scsi problems

hello,

first review how many packages you have installed & are there too many items in the startup....type the command setup on the cli & check the startup items...you may remove which are not required....if it seems ok then the slowness issue might be due to the old hard disk...replace it by new one...
Old 03-10-2011

Get more RAM.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by jumbo : 03-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
Get more RAM.

Best of Luck!
I dont think that incerasing RA will help you. As I am also running that on 1 GB of RAM but that is running very well without any problem. I think you need to reinstall that.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,