Thread: Unable to install software on linux mint 7

Unable to install software on linux mint 7

I have a mac computer at home. I have installed linux mint 7 operating system. Actually I am not able to install any software in my system. I have always been using windows system. I want to know is that, does anyone know how to install software on linux mint 7 without internet. I have tried to install wine in it but I couldn’t find any success. I also tried to install amarok player but I couldn’t do it. I would like to know how to do this? I am very much annoyed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Unable to install software on linux mint 7

I would like to ask you that is it.rpm image? If it is .rpm image then install using rpm command. If it is source, then I would say that you will have to build it. As far as I know windows can solve purpose of all basic computer users so they don’t think much about the linux.

I would say that on the bottom left try to click on the search terminal and then open it. Then type this command "sudo apt-get install (software)" if you want to install vlc media player then type "sudo apt-get install vlc" in the terminal. It is possible that you will be asked for the password. Just type your password and you will have an option like "y/n" if you press then it will download and install the software.

Well there are several ways to install any software you want. I would like to mention some ways as follows.
    • the linux mint portal
    • terminal
    • package manager
    • from some software websites as a deb
    If you still have some queries then I would like to know. Kindly reply me back if you want.

I would say that go to the menu, then mintinstall. Here you will find all softwares. Install the software you want and then you will be asked for the password. You can also try another thing. Deb packages are very easy to install. go into menu then MintInstall and you find there all the software available then when u install it will ask u for your password and put it in when it tells u to.