Thread: How to change Windows 8 Developer Preview Start Menu as Windows 7

How to change Windows 8 Developer Preview Start Menu as Windows 7

If you would like to allow Windows 7's Start menu within Windows 8 Developer Preview you will need to go behind these easy steps
    • Push Windows + R and type regedit.exe and afterward strike Enter to open Registry Editor.
    • Now here you need to find the following registry key
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    • Double Click on top of RPEnabled and modify its value toward 0
    • That's it all completed

Note:If you would like DP's Start menu in that case simply alter value to 1

Re: How to change Windows 8 Developer Preview Start Menu as Windows 7

There is already a small program, which the Registry of Windows 8 patches to the effect that the classic Start menu appears. This little tool is called Windows Start Menu toggle eight and allowed just switch the UI between the Metro and the old start menu. Whether the tool is necessary at all if you install the final version of Windows 8? I cannot imagine Microsoft allowing intended to disable the default UI Metro - currently we only have the developer preview.

Windows 8 was presented to the public in its new design derived from Windows Phone. The live tile have replaced the traditional interface with the classic Start menu of Windows 7, still present but visible only on explicit user activity. In practice it's a real application. The Developer Preview version is still immature and therefore it should be installed in a separate partition or a virtual machine. So you do not risk compromising the work environment "tweaking" in the registry.

I will install my Windows 8 times next week, am curious out of the house. The tool but rather not see what is new and also wants to act. But you never know, maybe someone asks for it.

With the start screen in Windows Developer Preview 8, Microsoft has indeed done a great step forward. Who but the app on the "Desktop" to conventional (Windows 7) desktop switches, will certainly miss the usual start menu of Windows

I would also like but apparently they are closed automatically when you start a certain number of other apps. In the settings you can specify how many in this "history" to be saved. Standard: 3

I personally like the new start menu, getting used to but practical. On my desktop PC but I would probably prefer my usual workflow.