Thread: How to run Nested Vms

How to run Nested Vms

How to run Nexted Vms. I am referring to Vmware where I can run multiple vmware inside each other. It is this possible. If yes then how. And what about the performance and stability of software. There are some vmware severs that I am using and using the same can reduce many issues.

Re: How to run Nested Vms

It is possible to run Nested Vms. It means simply using vmware inside vmware. What it needs is good hardware support. The operating system does not really play a better role here. The inner vm nest depends on the virtual tool and the outside layer works on the physical hardware. It works but there is an need for an better support. If you lack hardware requirement, you will face many error which are related to system crash. To avoid configuration it is necessary for you to understand the different levels related to nesting. The tools like ESX(i) 4.x, ESXi 5.0, Workstation 7.x, Player 3.x or Fusion 3 surely support the configuration. There are many other configuration available that can help you here. The nested configuration are called as EXSi server. They depends on the system configuration and proper setup. Also what matters here is the cpu support. There are number of cpus that can run this, they are Core 2, Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processors. So better have a look on the system requirement and then check back.

Whichever processor has an support for Intel VT-x will support this feature. So just have a proper look on the hardware requirement first and then try to run the setup. The official website gives you a full guide on the same.

It is necessary that you must properly configure the outer vmware layer properly with the virtualization hardware support. If that is not properly configure with the hardware virtualization support then this process can be lengthy. Mostly bios provide the settings for the same. The physical host on which you are configuring all this must have a hardware assisted support for virtualization. Especially the processor. Usually the settings for hardware support virtualization remain default for ESX Server 4/5 server. You must choose the most appropriate product that support your choice. You can also manually edit the config file to manage the outer layer. There are also some older and third party tools that work on the same. But manually editing need more better clear idea on what you are doing. You can configure proper instructions before editing the files.

The version 7.1.1 brings a support of ESX (i) as a guest. This allows relatively easy to virtualized test and demonstration environments to setup on the workstation. The best thing about this is that there is compatibility problems with hardware.

At start you can perform installation of ESXi for testing purpose which can give you more better and clear idea about the performance. The reason for this is related to multiple boot. The configuration for that are not provided officially. If you want to build virtual labs with more than one host, then you must also continue to increase the needed hardware requirement for th this.

Due to the new version support the installation of guest has become much more easier. You can easily create the virtual machine using the same source of iso file you have with you for Vmware. The Workstation 7.1.1 ESXi automatically detects and then proposes the appropriate parameters for the virtual machine. The best thing you can do here is create multiple host and network them with each other. This is because of ESXi in VMware Workstation. It helps you to manage those multiple virtual hosts and network them. The ESXi console offers better administration options, so access is required from the outside via a browser or client vSphere PowerCLI. Have a proper look on the hardware requirement of the same. Running the guest you can start with Workstation 7.0/Player 3.0/Fusion 3.0 which has ESX Server 4. This is an guest operating system who's configuration is quiet easy. You can also manual edit the config file and choose what can be the guest os.

It is possible by Vmware EXS4. VMware vSphere 5 make this more easier and has an nested nested 64-bit guest support. It is best for testing different hardware configuration without having the physical configuration.

In determining the virtual hard disk for the ESX (i)-guest should be noted that this vmdk-files want to create virtual machines within its own vmdk and ESXi do not have access to the drives of the host has.