Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Win Vista not fixing bad sectors in chkdsk

Operating Systems

Old 13-09-2011

Win Vista not fixing bad sectors in chkdsk

Hi, board --

So frustrated! Running an HP Pavilion DV4T series w/ Windows Vista. It's about 4 years old with a HD that's been running hot since I got it, so I expected this.

Windows says my hard drive has an "imminent failure" a-coming to it (duh duh duh doooooom), so I ran chkdsk from the cmd prompt on restart. It reports that there's bad sectors, but it doesn't seem to be DOING anything about them. I don't see any messages about moving them or sequestering them or whatever the hell chkdsk is supposed to do when it finds the bad sectors. And when I load Windows, I still get the "imminent failure" message.

So, is there anything I can do? Like, a tool I can download or something? Or do I just need to get a new hard drive?

Thank you!

-SK

Old 13-09-2011

Happy Re: Win Vista not fixing bad sectors in chkdsk

i think you should try to use Hiren's Boot CD as a first boot sequence for your machine. It offers so many Hard Disk Tools to diagnose your HDD and find for some solutions.

Before I decided to buy a new HDD, I always check my current HDD with Hirens. The results of the check approach the real condition of our HDD.

Hope it helps...

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,