Thread: Does anyone uses ZFS

Does anyone uses ZFS

Long ago there was a new file system released by Sun Microsystem. This was an open source project called as ZFS. This file system has an specialty of managing data correction. I found this by an update from an magazine which published articles on open source project. I just want to know where this is gone. Does it is used in today systems as I never found anything other than ntfs or fan. Some of different partition formats you can see in Linux. I want to know more no this. How this works, and will implementation of this is worth for the end user or not. Mainly for database services it is very important to have a proper file partition and data support. Anyhow it is natural that sometime your drives crashes due to many reason. Crash is not an issue, issue is recovery of data which matters the most. Just for an information how this differs from other drives. Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone uses ZFS

I think this can be due to the performance. Today what we more demand is an better performing system under every circumstances. Nobody likes an slow system, on which ntfs/fat rules.

I have gone through this before. Some of my old Linux testing projects had this work. There were many issue with zfs. the first is right it is the performance. Second the optimization of the hard to to get better cache index. That is creates an pain. Anyhow people stick more to the conventional filesystem which makes our job much more easier.

B Tree file system lacked behind due to the file system support on open source project. There are many things where this failed. This was somewhat comparable to zfs. So you can count both as one and the same. For largest storage solution support there are certain terms like checksums, etc are needed to be taken into the point. Any left issue can give a severe damage to large data storage firms. This file system lack pooling, checksume and mutli-device spanning. This directly result in dead of this file system. This are designed for Linux systems which can not just address an storage media but also provide support for administering and manage it. The interface was very clean and let anyone work on it with reliable support. Nobody can just gamble on any file system just like that. Data reliability is one which matters the most for one which company pays heavy amount. B Tree file system was made to give more features that cannot be found in the regular file system. Some of them are listed below :
    • Possibility of extending or limiting a partition volume
    • Load balance amount the drives.
    • Possibility of defragging a system online
    • Possibilities of configuring Raid1 type mirroring and stripping Raid 0 type.
    • There were many better support on the same, but cannot came into much existence.

You can try the same via FreeBSD. It is possible to port this file system on a FreeBSD system. ZFS is not just an file system, but something more than that. There are many advance integrated volume manager support provided which cannot be found on the tradition partition. And on the other hand it becomes easy to manage the file system also. There is something which differs ZFS from other partitions. Any file system that is created in ZFS is not bonded to an single block device or volume of hard drive. One of the major positive support of this file system, is data integrity. There is an option of self healing of data that you can have on this file system only. There are certain support on this file partition system that can help you to get back your corrupted on the drive itself. It s consider as highly reliable for the large database storage support.

It is used on old systems and that is not really recommended for all systems. For testers it is fine to work with multiple file table formats.