Thread: Ubuntu, Error: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/test/.ICEauthority

Ubuntu, Error: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/test/.ICEauthority

Here I got a serious issue with my Ubuntu Operating System and I want to discuss it with you people, as I think I can get a solution for this from you. Yesterday when I was loading Ubuntu on my Computer then suddenly I got an error saying,” Could not update ICEauthority file /home/test/.ICEauthority”. And now I am not able to load ubuntu anymore. I am a newbie in ubuntu and therefore I really need a help to fix this issue.

Re: Ubuntu, Error: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/test/.ICEauthority

I am also getting this problem from today morning. I am not able to figure out what may be the reason causing this issue. If anyone has any idea about how to fix this then pleas reply.

In order to make your ubuntu working again, I think you have to change the permission and ownership and for that you can type this command.
    Sudo chown test:test /home/test/.ICEauthority and after that type another command
    Sudo chomd 600 /home/test/ .ICEauthority
    And after that log out of your computer and then log in again and then see if you have solved your problem or not.

I tried entering the above commands that you suggested but unfortunately that didn’t worked for me. After entering those commands when I logged off and logged in again, nothing changed. Permission is still –rw. I think this all is related to my installation history. I am running two Operating System on my computer, ubuntu and windows XP with ext2 read/write plugin.

I was also facing same problem with my ubuntu. But, I did what you said in above solution. And after that my system started but very slowly and also I am not able to connect my wireless. I think I have to reboot my system again and then it will connect

I tried the above solution it worked for me. Now I can load my ubuntu without any error. Thanks for your solution. You are a life savior.

I am not able to understand why it is not working for me only. I have the same problem and I also tried the above solution but I still have the same error message. In recent times, I was having some grub issues with my ATI card and splash screen, therefore, I only adjusted graphics and grub. Other than that I didn’t made any changes to my system. Then what may be the problem.

QUOTE] Sudo chown test:test /home/test/.ICEauthority and after that type another command
    Sudo chomd 600 /home/test/ .ICEauthority [/QUOTE]
    I was having the same problem, I tried this and it worked for me. My computer started very slowly. However, I want to know that how this code works. I think, if I am right, when I use the above code it exchanges all the tests with my username. I am just little curious to know what is it about and why it slowed down the startup.