Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ubuntu, Unable to move files, error: Permission Denied

Operating Systems

Old 09-09-2011

Ubuntu, Unable to move files, error: Permission Denied

Here, I have a serious issue. My computer is running on Ubuntu. I was trying to install a plug-in for aMSN. But, when I try to drag a required file to the plugins folder then it doesn?t moves and an error message comes ?Error moving file: Permission denied?. I am really a newbie in Linux. So, I really need a help. If anyone has a solution for this, then please reply.

Old 09-09-2011

Re: Ubuntu, Unable to move files, error: Permission Denied

I think you don?t have the administrator privileges and you cannot do that if you are logged in as a normal user, because you are moving something in a system folder and for gaining access to that requires you to use administrative privileges. You can do so by opening nautilus by typing ?gksu nautilus? command. After that enter your password and then hit enter. Now you have administrative rights and you can easily move files into any system folders.
Old 09-09-2011

Thanks for your solution. I tried that code and it really worked for me.
Old 09-09-2011

well, I was also stuck in the same problem and therefore, I also tried the code ?gksu nautilus?, but it didn?t make any help for me. I am still not able to move those files to any system folders. The same error keeps coming on my screen.
Old 09-09-2011

I just tried that code and it helped me as well. Now I can easily move files to any of my folders. You just saved me from a lot of headache. Thanks a lot. By the way what is nautilus?
Old 10-09-2011

Nautilus is nothing but a next generation file manager for the GNOME desktop

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,