Thread: getting Error splicing file: Input/output error while copying file in ubuntu

Rajni Guest

getting Error splicing file: Input/output error while copying file in ubuntu

Hello friends I have ubuntu operating system in my computer and I am facing one problem with my computer from last some days. Now whenever I try to coy any file from my external hard drive to my computer at that time I get Input/output error. now please tell me what should I do to solve this issue.

Re: getting Error splicing file: Input/output error while copying file in ubuntu

Are you getting any problem with any specific file or you are facing this problem while copying every file from your hard drive to your computer. first check this and if you are facing this problem with any specific file then I think it is the problem of that file only other wise problem is with your computer.

Re: getting Error splicing file: Input/output error while copying file in ubuntu

if you have tried to different file and you are facing the problem with that file also then I think there might be something wrong with your hard drive connection and that is why I will first suggest you that first disconnect the hard drive from your computer and after disconnecting it you have to connect it again with different USB port and after that try to copy the file again and after that check whether you are getting the same error again or not. if you are getting the same error after connecting the hard drive to the different USB port also then i think you should connect any other hard drive with your computer and after that you have to check whether you are getting the same problem while transferring the file or not. if you are getting the same problem while transferring the file then I think there is something wrong with your computer or ununtu and if you are not getting any issue after that then your hard drive is having some problem.

If you are facing this issue with your external hard driver only then you have to first take the backup of all the data from your hard drive and after that you have to format it and after formatting it you have to copy all the data again in your hard drive and after that check whether your problem get solved or not.

I have checked any other file and this problem is coming with all the files in my computer and I have also tried to solve this issue by changing the USB cable and connecting the hard drive with different USB port but that doesn’t make any difference. now after that I have also tried to solve this issue by connecting the different hard drive with my system and after that also I get the same issue while copying the file. Now please tell me how to get rid of this issue.

As you have mentioned that in you are facing the problem after connecting the different hard drive also and that is why I think there might be something wrong with the Ubuntu and I will suggest you to try to solve this problem by reinstalling the ubuntu and after that your problem will get solved.

I think you should connect USB hub with your computer and after connecting the USB hub you have to connect the hard drive and after that you have to check while copying the file you are getting the same error or not. I think after that you will not see any error. I am telling you this solution because in my system I was having the same problem and after that I have solved the problem by connecting the USB hub. try this solution and after that let me know whether your problem gets solved or not.

Rajni Guest

After looking at your solution about reinstalling the ubuntu in my computer I have tried that solution and after reinstalling the ubuntu my problem gets solved. Now I am not getting any error while copying file. Io really appreciate your help. 

I am having the same problem with all my usb disk, 2 seagate 2tb harddrives and one bufflo 1.5tb hard drive, connected to a usb 3.0/2.0 combination hub and a usb 16gb flash key pluged into a usb 2.0 hub. tried switching the ports around still get the error. ( not every time just most of the time, copying to and from all drives including internal hdd ). Running ubuntu 11.10. reinstall isn't an option because I can't backup the files onto a usb harddrive before reinstall, it is a fresh install of ubuntu anyway, new computer too, install on 24 of december.

I tried copying from one of the usb harddrives to internal hdd, which worked. So it's just copying to usb harddrives from internal drive or from another usb drive.

Figured out the usb 3 hub was not linux friendly, unpluged it and hdd on all ports started working again! Hub is a ST Lab 7 port usb 3.0 hub ( 5 usb 2.0, 2 usb 3.0 ports )