Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

New to Linux - already screwed it up, lost my home/oem

Operating Systems

Old 08-09-2011

New to Linux - already screwed it up, lost my home/oem

I was changing my admin password and in that area I changed the home/oem to home/myname. I chose "copy everything to new home" and "delete old" because it sounded pretty elementary and it told me it would be safe to do so if I copied everything.
Now the system is still looking for everything through the old oem filepath name, and cannot find ANYTHING because it doesn't exist. When I start my system now, I get errors of this nature, and my desktop has no start menu or anything - absolutely nothing.. only the time and date. Help! How do I fix this?
Also, as I said I am completely new to Linux, so I need detailed noob instructions It is Linux Mint 10 on a Dell 530s Inspiron. Please help!

Last edited by wellor84 : 08-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2011

Re: New to Linux - already screwed it up, lost my home/oem

Am I being ostracized? I figured out how to get the command box up - how do I change the path to my new (supposedly copied) home?

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,