Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error: Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init during mount filesystem at boot

Operating Systems

Old 08-09-2011

Error: Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init during mount filesystem at boot

I cannot boot my ubuntu 9.04. When it attempts to mount the filesystem at boot I get this failure: Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init. I booted from a live CD and attempted to mount the part and I got this mistake:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
dmesg|tail returns :

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg|tail
[ 249.564577] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 249.564581] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 249.564624] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 249.564672] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors: (160 GB/149 GiB)??????.
Tried an fsck also and this is what i get :

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sda
fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?

Old 08-09-2011

Re: Error: Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init during mount filesystem at boot

Use recovery mode on the grub. It will Auto-settle your issue. This is the safest. Else it might be ext4 issue. Or n exist modes see collecting that it is mounted.

Use:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts

if yes then unmount it, or go into it if possible
Old 08-09-2011

Re: Error: Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init during mount filesystem at boot

I managed a workable plan to settle the situation by checking the parcel with the parcel supervisor from the live compact disc, which is primarily:

e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda2

This seems to have solved the problem.
Old 08-09-2011

While booted into the live CD for 10.04, my boot drive wouldn't mount giving me some slip I disregarded to record (too bad).
In the event that any individual stumbles opposite this situation in the destiny, here's the way to begin gparted from the live CD for those who'd such as to utilize this strategy:

Code:
sudo gparted
Once there, you could probably select your hard circle from the drop down menu at the upper right corner of the product. Inasmuch as the drive/partition you are intrigued by repairing is unmounted, you are able to right click on it and select 'Check.' This has the impact of checking the plate and if feasible, repairing any issues, (for those from the windows planet its much prefer chkdsk). I bored down into the 'Details' see of the Check and it indicated the careful same charge that 9047boy utilized (with the exception of obviously with my allotment name as a substitute for his):
Code:
e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1
Old 08-09-2011

I also have the similar setback, it comes up with
  • mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/020c2c5b-59ec-49cf-a0d5-6bc9c1bee82f on /root failed: Invalid argument
  • mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
  • mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
  • mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg
BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
Old 08-09-2011

I positively require accommodate with this, the setback is on my laptop, and I'm going to go home for Thanksgiving where it can be my just machine. I have schoolwork I definitely need to finish this week that needs the utilization of LaTeX, and I likewise have documents on the laptop that are not went down. Every last trace of my schoolwork is in my dropbox, so that would be not an issue, but I'd incline toward not to lose a pack of photos depending on if I need to do a clean reinstall.
Old 08-09-2011

I continue getting the "Filesystem is occupied or likely opened by a different project" when I attempt terminal, even following I have booted from the Ubuntu 10.04 LiveCD and attempted each different alternative this discussion gave. Since Slax or the GParted CD doesn't work I can be at my wits closure. When I attempt the Gparted in the terminal it pops up and I run check and connect, but it doesn't work either. While I could disdain to need to do a natural institute that is what it is searching like for me as of right now, that is if Gparted CD or Slax doesn't work for me first.
Old 08-09-2011

I was gaining a comparative message when booting to Ubuntu 10.04 and was at a touch of a misfortune on what to do. I attempted what you recommended it worked terrific.
Old 08-09-2011

I figured out how to settle the situation. I accompanied their suggestions. I booted with the live CD for 10.04. Once the desktop headed up giving me access to the top board, I clicked on Applications>Accessories and opened a terminal window.
  • Entered: sudo gparted.
  • Checked and my unmounted volume was sda1.
Old 10-09-2011

I attempted a UBUNTU 11.04 Live CD and it stacked just fine. I instituted a brand new form of GRUB and every little item is back to ordinary with the UBUNTU 10.04.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,