Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 running slowly

Ubuntu 10.10 running slowly

I have recently installed ubuntu 10.10 operating system in my computer. I have been using ubuntu since long now. I like ubuntu operating system than windows. Previously I had ubuntu 10.04 installed in my system. It was fast as compared to the ubuntu 10.10. I feel ubuntu 10.10 is 10 times slower than the ubuntu 10.04. I don’t know the reason that my os is so slow. Sometimes I also feel that it is quite jerky. I have installed restricted Nvidia drivers. I have installed NVIDIA 250 GTS video card in my system. Below I have mentioned my system specifications;
    • Intel 3.3 GHZ Dual-Core
    • 2GB DDR2 RAM
    This configuration worked very well with ubuntu 10.04. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 running slowly

I would suggest you to install the fresh copy of operating system. There could be some problems while installing the operating system. It could be that some important system files must be missing. So kindly install the fresh copy of the operating system.

I think you should format your hard disk. Format your hard disk fully, freshly install the ubuntu 10.10 operating system in your system and make home partitions. I am sure that doing this would overcome your problem. As you have mentioned that you were using ubuntu 10.04 operating system before which was running great, so I think ubuntu 10.10 should also work fine. All the best. I would suggest you to try all this and your problem will get resolved.

I think the issue is with the gfx drivers. I assume that ubuntu 10.10 doesn’t support your gfx driver. So I would recommend you to either install the ubuntu 10.04 os back or upgrade your graphics card. It is possible that your driver has got corrupted.

I would suggest you to install the latest driver for your graphic card. Uninstall the graphic card driver and install it back. I hope you know how to uninstall the driver. After uninstalling all related drivers, try to install the driver back. You can use the cd that you must have got. If not then download it from the internet and install. You can google around the internet and search for the same. Then just install it and see whether the issue is solved or no.

I think there is some compatibility issue with ubuntu 10.10. I think your system is running slow because it is not compatible with one of your system’s components. I would suggest you to make sure first that your components are compatible. You can ask any hardware expert to guide you in this.

I think that you must check your ram once. I think your ram has got corrupted and hence you are facing this problem. I would suggest you to remove the ram from the slot and put the ram back again. You can get a new ram if you want. Just upgrade your system memory.

I would suggest you to remove the proprietary drivers that are installed in your system. I was facing the same issue previously and someone told me to do this. I did it and my ubuntu 10.10 is working absolutely fine now. I suspect that there is no issue with compatibility of operating system and components. I am sure that this will resolve the issue. If it doesn’t then I would suggest you to take your system to any hardware shop and ask them to guide you. They are experts and I am sure they will help you out.

Actually I am facing the same issue with my ubuntu 10.10 operating system. I am sure that all my components are working absolutely fine and also are compatible. I had no issues before using ubuntu operating system. Some where I read that I should remove the proprietary drivers. I don’t know what they are? And how should I remove it? Please help me out. Even I think that doing this will resolve my issue.

Well if you are looking for proprietary drivers then for that go to System > Administration > Additional drivers. If you see that it is active then Remove it, restart the system and activate it again, then you must again restart your system. If it is not active then o would say that just activate it and restart the whole system. I hope this will help.

I think NVIDIA 250 GTS video card that is installed in your system is somewhat faulty one. I think you should get it checked first. I would suggest you to install this card in someone elses pc and just observe that is it affecting the system or no. if it is then surely the issue is because of the graphic card else it is something else. I would suggest you to just make it sure and let me know.