Thread: Windows 7: BIOS and Disk Management cannot detect Hard Drive

Windows 7: BIOS and Disk Management cannot detect Hard Drive

I am currently running the Windows 7 on my computer and the problem is that when I start the computer then it is not able to detect the hard drive where the OS is installed. Actually I have two hard drive in my computer and BIOS can only detect the one which is not having the BIOS in that. This is not just for the BIOS, it is same as the Disk Managements. I cannot understand that what is the difficulty with this and how it can be resolved. If you know the solution for this then please let me know that. I will be pleased to all the replies.

Re: Windows 7: BIOS and Disk Management cannot detect Hard Drive

This is seemed to be because of the hardware failure. If it can’t be viewed in Disk Management and BIOS it is just not talking through the motherboard. This shows that it is because of the hardware failure.

There are many of the cases where the hard drive is not detected by the BIOS or the system and basically there are three reasons and below is the things that you need to check first.
    • Power connector
    • SATA connector properly embedded (it is possible to reverse it)
    • In the BIOS, SATA port enabled.

I am assuming that you have another IDE cable already tried (Warning: only use 80-conductor cable UDMA-66/100/133 because these are somewhat finer textured as compared to the standard IDE cable). IDE drives must also be jumpered as either master or slave. This is a small (probably green or black) jumper is located at a terminal of the plate and usually a sticker on top, on which the various configuration has shown. Also possible would be that a CMOS reset is due to battery failure in the computer of the individual nurse simply reset the BIOS settings. As a boot disk, it should be operated on PRIMARY channel configured as master. If there is a burner connected on the same channel then it must be jumpered as slave.

Thank you for your rely but I would like to tell you that this was done with the jumpers, I like you said it. I also tried all other possible combinations. This did not help and I am still trying to access the hard drive. Please provide me some alternate solution for this.

Are you sure it is not detected by the BIOS? I thought the same thing for mine and in fact I had not looked properly: in the BIOS, in "Standard CMOS setup", you are positioned on the "AUTO" which is the location of your drive, you put "USER" instead and after that you should see the capacity of your disk, the number of clusters, etc. These are the riders at the end of the disk that tells you if it is Master or Slave. For riders, you have no drawing on your disk? If not, then you can see that on the site of the manufacturer. I believe that if it is connected to the end then it must be master, if not then Slavic.

I think that the hard drive that you are using is corrupted and so it is not getting detected from the system. Other than this, it can be also problem with the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard. So if you want then you can also try by changing that cable with the new one and see if that can solve the problem for you.

If your system does not detect the hard drive you have installed, you have to force it to recognize it, and the modern BIOS have a system of automatic recognition of the hard drive, which is responsible for modifying the Setup settings. Boot the computer with the DEL key pressed and thus will enter the Setup. Then with the arrow go until the entry selected IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION and then press Enter. Automatically appear on the hard disk values, type the number 2 and press Enter. Repeat this same number for all hard drives you have installed and press the Enter key until you show the main window of 2. To save the new configuration select SAVE & EXIT SETUP and press the Enter key again. Then press the Y key to save changes and restart the computer.