Thread: Software to adjust Partition Size on Win 7 and Win Server 2008

Software to adjust Partition Size on Win 7 and Win Server 2008

I am facing some of the problem with some of the machines that we have. Some of the machines are running the Windows 7 in that and the server is running the Windows Server 2008 R2.Initially partition sizes for OS were quite small but I understand now that the newer OS are quite a bit bigger as compared to the old ones. Is there any software out there which would let me to regulate the sizes of partitions devoid of reformatting otherwise losing some information?

Re: Software to adjust Partition Size on Win 7 and Win Server 2008

You can make use of the shrink and extend tools which are built in within the disk manager. This will help you to extend the partition. So try with this and reply back that if this was helpful for you or not so that we can give you some alternate solution to do this.

It will be superior for you to make use of the Magic Partition Software. There is one MiniTool Partition Wizard which will help you to change the partition size for the OS partition. It is the partition manager software which is Windows server based. The server partition software supports together MBR as well as GUID partition table (GPT) lying on 32/64 bits Operating System together with Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows SBS as well as Windows 7. Our magic partition software holds up every hard disks as well as IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB external disks, Fire wire disks as well as all level RAID configurations.

As you are having the Windows 7 running on your computer then I think that Aomei Partition Assistant will be best for you to use. With partition Assistant gets you a helper around the hard drive partitions on the computer. The free software can cope with the FAT and NTFS file systems and goes to the user in the form of an assistant at hand. Assistant partition can create new partitions, resize existing and moves them to another location on your hard disk. In addition, can be copied using the freeware whole partitions. To offer an inspection partition Assistant separate partitions for errors. The software comes with FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS clear file systems, partitions of other operating systems, unfortunately, remain sidelined.

I am also agree with the above post that Partition Assistant will do the work for you and I am saying this with confidence because I have used that earlier and that worked for me. Assistant brings in terms of partition functions is not much different than the good old Windows Disk Management. Which in practice proves to be very useful, is the assistant and the comprehensive help function. There are minus points but for the lack of support of any non-Microsoft file systems.

If you do not wish to make use of some additional software to do that then you can do that with the steps below:
    1. Start> Right click Computer (My Computer)> Manage
    2. Click on Disk Management which is in the category Storage in the left pane.
    3. Right click the partition you want to expand.
    4. Assistant to extend volume appears then enter the size you want to expand the volume if you do not want the whole score, otherwise leave as default.
    5. Select Next, then Finish.

There is a limit of reduction (although there is free space). Windows always leaves a great deal of free space, and does not fall below a percentage of the total disk space. You cannot enlarge a partition if the unallocated space to the left of it.

You should know that there are two types of structures of partitions: primary and extended, an extended partition must contain logical partitions. The Windows Disk Manager mismanaging these types. Terms and conditions (regardless of the method) to extend a partition from unallocated space is: Whether it is next to the unallocated space and is in the same extended partition as him. For the manager of the disks, it is impossible to extend a partition in spite that there is unallocated space next to it. This is due to the partition structure.

Partition Logic (/ dev/hdb5) belongs to the extended partition (/ dev/hdb1) is extendable until the unallocated space that is located on the right (under the same extended partition). On Windows, it is not possible to use the unallocated space on the left to zoom directly to that partition. This is feasible with Gparted and this requires extending the extended partition (/ dev/hdb1) first.

Powerquest can also be good to consider for the tasks like this.