Thread: Computer says “Do Not Turn off or Switch Power”

Computer says “Do Not Turn off or Switch Power”

All the times when, I try to turn off my computer then it shows me the message that it is installing the update and I should not turn off or switch the power of computer. It says that it is installing the updates of Windows. So my question to you is that why it is showing me this message every time when I turn off my computer and what is the way around for this.

Re: Computer says “Do Not Turn off or Switch Power”

Quote Originally Posted by DaAusPicious View Post
    All the times when, I try to turn off my computer then it shows me the message that it is installing the update and I should not turn off or switch the power of computer. It says that it is installing the updates of Windows. So my question to you is that why it is showing me this message every time when I turn off my computer and what is the way around for this.
    It is very obvious that whenever the computer installs the updates otherwise something else then you should not turn off the computer. My suggestion to you is to disable every power saving features within the control panel while installing updates in order that there will be no interruptions at the same time as updating, you can just put the power options to their default value subsequent to the completion of update.

Why are you worrying about this? This is normal for the update as it needed power to do the update. Leave that as it is and once that will be completed with the update then it will automatically turned off.

If you want to stop the Windows from doing automatic updates (windows update) as well as update the computer PC manually only while you desire it then you will have to follow the steps below.
    1. First of all click on the "Start" "Settings" "Control Panel".
    2. Then click on the icon "System" then select the tab "Automatic Updates".
    3. Check the "Disable automatic update".

Another way to disable windows update is update automatically:
    1. Click "Start" "Control Panel" "Administrative Tools" then "Services".
    2. Right click on "Automatic Updates" and choose "Properties".
    3. In "Startup Type" select "Disabled".

To finally turn off the annoying and unsafe update feature, you must go through the following instructions carefully:
    1. Click Start and go to Control Panel. Once here, go to the department system.
    2. Here you get the second Automatic Updates tab and select the entry to the front to perform automatic updates (updates manually). It now appears in the small circle round a tiny green dot, which indicates to them that this is now selected.
    3. Clicking OK allows the update function disappears. While you are resting in front of this function, but the Windows XP Service (An automatically launching application for certain functions) for the Windows Update is still active.
    4. Click in the Control Panel, click Administrative Tools and open the services there.
    5. Now just double-click on Automatic Updates and set the startup type to Disabled.
    6. Click on OK to close the service and a complete reboot of the complete deactivation of the Windows updates.

If you are having the Service pack 2 installed then you can go to Accessories -> System Tools -> Security Center -> Automatic Updates.

I found these steps from the Microsoft site to turn off the Windows Update. Below are the steps to do that.
    1. First of all click on Start > Run after this type regedit and click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Image File Execution Options
    3. Click on Image File Execution Options and choose New then Key.
    4. Enter wupdmgr.exe for naming the new subkey.
    5. Right click on the wupdmgr.exe, click new and after that String Value.
    6. Put in the debugger to name fresh string value.
    7. Double-click on debugger and type ntsd - date value within the box and after that click OK.
    8. Finally close the Registry Editor.

Its normal for all of us. So there is nothing to worry about this Just leave the PC as it is ant let it complete its task. It is useful for your computer.