Thread: Cannot open Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Cannot open Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I have a software that I need to install on my Windows 7 Pro. But I cannot play it as it only runs on Windows XP. I want to play the software on Windows 7, how can I have a Windows XP mode on it? Anyone knows how to do that??

Re: Cannot open Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

You can use Windows Virtual PC which virtualizes other Windows version on Windows 7. Just download the program from the internet and use it. You can run multiple virtual machines with multiple OS at the same tine. It also supports Linux OS unofficially. There is a Windows XP Mode package for Windows Virtual PC which contains a licensed, copy of Windows XP Professional as the guest OS. SO, now you can log on using this mode and then use it to play the program you want to play. This mode is available free of charge to Windows 7 users.

The best software for doing this virtualization is the VMware which is used most popularly. VMware provides simple user-interface for installing, booting and running different OS and is much better than Windows Virtual PC.

I followed all the usual directions and installed Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode and the Update for PCs without hardware virtualization. My PC does have hardware virtualization however.
    My start menu shows Windows Virtual PC, no Windows Mode is available on the PC. There is no folders inside and it says "This folder is empty". I have re-installed the Windows XP Mode again but there is no change.
    In the Control Panel under Programs and Features, it shows Windows XP Mode and in Program Files there is a folder for Windows XP Mode, as well as Windows Virtual PC. So, the mode has been installed fine. I don’t understand what’s wrong and why can’t see the mode I have installed. I have an Intel T5600 in a Thinkpad R60.

Well, they require hardware virtualization for compatibility with your PC. So, you will need to have that virtualization I think until then it will not install. And btw for your PC you need to install two things in order to run Windows XP, Windows XP mode and WindowsXPMode_en-us_Install_first.exe. Have you installed this yet? Maybe you haven’t that’s why you are getting the problem.

Yes, I did say that I followed every step correctly as given on their official site. I have installed the foll. Items:
    1) Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu
    2) WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe
    3) Windows6.1-KB977206-x86.msu
    And btw, Microsoft has eliminated the hardware virtualization requirement in 2010 itself. Pre-installed integration components allow applications running within the virtualized environment to appear as if they are running directly on the host, sharing the native desktop and Start Menu of Windows 7 as well as participating in file type associations.

I see that you cannot see the feature even when you are installed. If the Windows Virtual Machine i.e. Windows XP is not showing up in your Program list, or the Program Files on your computer, then have you tried this step? Go into your Add/Remove Programs. and click on the Turn on or off Windows features. Scroll down to the Windows Virtual Machine option and verify if it is enabled ie the checkbox is ticked.

I had the same problem, and here’s how I solved it. You need to install virtual machine before you install xp mode. Since our followed the steps on the website it says there to install the Windows XP mode first. But doing that results in an empty virtual machine folder. So, uninstall and try doing this step and see if that works.