Thread: How can I format pen drive in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

How can I format pen drive in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Last two month I use pen drive on windows 7 OS and be cause of some virus problem I want to format this pendrive on Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system. I try to do this task but it gives the error message. The message was to be describes that " Can not mount Volumn. The volume uses the ntfs file system which is not supported by your system." Yes, I perform the pendrive formatting task on windows 7 using NTFS file system. Then please help to format this pen drive on the linux system. Thanks in advance.

Re: How can I format pen drive in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

You can format USB pen drive with the help of number of commands present on this Linux system. This command has to be removing all the files and folder of this pendrive and then it performs an complete formatting task on it. The first command on this Linux is to be fdisk which help to Partition table manipulator for Linux. It works to make a partition on it. Try this command over the terminal window of the Linux system. This will be work to solve your complicated problem.

There are also other mkfs.ext3 command help to perform this task. Even this command also create the ext3 or ext 2 file system on it. This will be most beneficial for this kind of pen drive. Hence try this and hope it solve your problem.

Before performing this taks you need to make sure that the pen drive has to be unmounted volume. If it is not mounted then you need to perform an unmount volume task on it. You can do this task by open the selecting the unmount volume option of the pen drive which available by right click on this pen drive. Then use the e2label command and it will be work to perform such formatting task on it. Try this and it will be work to perform an formatting the pendrive on the linux based system.

The sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 command also helps to perform this task on the easiest manner. Try this and if you have faced any problem with this command then take the help option on this terminal of your linux. In that you need to type sudo help on this terminal and press enter button. This will be work to gives then number of options of this command. Then use such option and perform this task. This Linux drive has to be not run the executable means exe files and hence there are less chances that the pen drive contain the virus after performing this formatting task. Hence I recommended to user who faced such virus problem then they need to use such help and perform this task. It will be solve your problem.

SwissKnife is a standalone solution that will allow you to format your external USB devices as Fat32. This software has to be works on the windows based system and I don’t know that whether it will be work on the Linux system or not. If you want to perform this formatting task in correct manner, then try this application on the windows as well as Linux system.

If you want to use another technique to perform this pen drive formatting task then first insert your USB pen drive to this system. After connecting this pen drive by detecting it perform the mounting task. Then the next step is to be Open Terminal and enter the dmesg |tail command on it. Then Unmount this connected pen drive by executing sudo umount /dev/sda command. Then use the mkfs.vfat command to format the existing file system. This is the last command that can be perform the complete formatting this pen drive task. Try this and hope it solve your problem.

It might be that your pendrive is at the end of its life. The amount of write cycles is limited. Sorry but sometimes this kind of situation arrives where the pen drive have not capacity to perform own formatting task using any ways. The virus may be the one reason behind this issue. In such case, only one reason is to be buying another pen drive.