Thread: Unable to update Mac OS X Lion to 10.7 with quad core processor

Unable to update Mac OS X Lion to 10.7 with quad core processor

I have Mac OS X Lion installed on my system. But now I want to update it to latest one which is version 10.7. But while updating I am getting the error.
    My system configuration
    • Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
    • Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 8800GT with 512 MB memory

Whenever I am trying to update it to the latest one that is 10.7 it is giving the error “The version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer”.

Re: Unable to update Mac OS X Lion to 10.7 with quad core processor

I am little bit confused. I think you don’t have apple iMac or Mac Pro. So your processor will be detected as the unknown processor in it while using Mac os x. since you don’t have official Mac build pc. So I think the problem is caused due to the quad core processor itself. Due to the incompatibility it is giving you such a error. Intel Quad core dose not getting recognized while updating to latest one therefore the error is popping up and blocking from updating the os.

Yes I think it’s happening due to the incompatibility of the Intel quad core processor. So I will suggest you to use the post installation utility. This will help you to resolve the problem. There are many utilities but I have used this one which you can download from the tonymacx86 blog. Name of the utility is iBoot + MultiBeast. It will help you to force install the Mac OS on any processors core i3, i5, i7 and quad core also. This utility also supports older processors also so try it.

I also have the Mac installed on the Intel processors but I haven’t got such an error while installing it. But not yet checked with updating it. I have seen that there is one file named “distribution which is inside the OSINSTALL.MPKG. This file actually checks the requirements before installing the mac over the system. So check this file for what is it checking. Use flat package editor and extract the OSINSTALL.MPKG package do some changes in it and now repack it. And run the process of updating it will work perfectly.

Thanks for providing all of you for the solutions but still I can’t able to solve the problem yet. I tried to use the multibeast but it’s not working for me still the same error of updating. I don’t want to try the other solution of extracting and updating the distribution file in OSINSTALL.MPKG package to this I have to learn many thinks before doing it. so without the help of professional who has the knowledge of flat file editor I am not touching this package.

I have some solutions for you which you can try will help you to solve the problem. Install the CPUInjector.kext. It is used to detect Intel cpu. Since when I tried to update the Mac it is giving same problem of unable to install so I have installed the CPUInjector.kext. After doing that it is detecting the quad core processor of mine. Then when I installed updated Mac it installed perfectly .use the other utility to check if the processor is detected or not.use the geekbench version 2.1.13 which will check the entire configuration of mac and shows you the details of hardware components installed on the system. If you see that your cpu also then it’s great. Install the os it will work perfectly.

I have faced such a problem while trying to upgrade the Mac OS X. So I have resolved this issue by myself .I hope this solution will help you to solve the problem. Actually this is happening due to the Chameleon older version so check if it is older or not. Newer version will help you to resolve the problem. New version has good SMBIOS support. So it will help to determine the hardware device perfectly. You can use bdmesg tool included with chameleon which will give you the info about what is is actually loading.