Thread: Windows Server 2008 Crashed on UEFI Mode

Windows Server 2008 Crashed on UEFI Mode

I am trying to configure Windows Server 2008 over a system with UEFI enabled. I have a system with attached to raid device for regular data backup. There are couple of 1TB hard drives attached to the raid controller. I had already planned to upgrade my operating system to an higher one to get some benefit of latest security updates. I was not aware that such error will appear. The system started fine, and while configuring the backup it crashed. Need possible solutions to fix this up. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Server 2008 Crashed on UEFI Mode

The most common cause of Windows blue screen crash is incompatible hardware. You can judge that from the error dropped on your screen. For the first I will advice you to disconnect your raid controller and then run the system for some hours. This is just testing purpose. Later on, if possible get an bios update for your system. It is very important to fix the blue screen crash. RAID setup are complicated, in some of your latest operating system. If all hardware is new, then it does not matter.

I will need the configuration of your Raid device. What is actually working in your system right now. Either you are using an adapter additionally or you have a RAID controller. Before there was no issue, I can figure out form your question. Do this, as per the above post disconnect it, run Windows Server and get all updates for your system. Connect it, and let Windows find it asan plug and play device. At start if there is an old drive issue, Windows will search for the most appropriate updates for it. That will fix the issue to some extent.

Get the latest firmware update for your raid card. This is common issue after a os upgrade. You can get that from the official website of your raid device. There are regular updates provide that, usually which you can download. It is better that you must get the most recent firmware support. For Windows Server there are tons of troubleshooting stuff that you can try out. But that is an latter part, once when you are ok with the raid setup.

There are certain hotfix for this issue. Recently when I was searching for a similar solution, I landed on IBM site which clearly states, that for UEFI errors there are prescribed hotfix by Microsoft. You can get that either by using Windows Update or you can manually search that on Microsoft Site. I will also advice to drop an mail to Microsoft Support for more information on this error. Better get a driver update for your RAID device which you are using.

There is an small workaround that can help. First download the most recent drive and firmware. Next after having a proper backup of your file...remove all the current raid partitions. Then run the driver updates. Again run fresh Windows installation and after first setup boot in safe mode. Try to configure your RAID device form there. Go in bios and under pci configuration modify your Minimum memory size. Set it to Min, reboot and check back again.